help needed on peckham history 70s and 80s

cook1e

hi i moved to peckham rye when i was 2 yrs old and lived there till i was 24, moved there in 1971.ish and lived in the same maisonette smack bang opposite peckham rye park. it was a small estate horse shoe shaped with the maisonettes at the front and 3 10 storie tower blocks behind it with four flats on each floor next to us where what we called the old blocks one being called medina house.

im writing a book about our life, but some of what i need to know i was so young i cant recall the dates for. so im hoping there are some people on here that can help me with any of the following

1 the name of the old blocks apart from medina and which order they fall in from the maisonettes running left towards rye lane.

next to the 1st old block as we called it on the grass verge was a air raid shelter anyone rember memories of this? and it being filled with concrete in the 70s because some kids had gone down it and got hurt because it was unstable?

2 they built a comunitte hall on the estate that is still there today, what year was it built?

3 there was a murder on peckham rye, common a teen age girl, she was supposed to meet her boyfriend but never turned up, boyfriend went searching for her, and claimed he found her body but was convicted of her murder, he used his own scarf!! anyone know the year?? ? or more details???

4 there was huge news paper coverage in 1982ish of a man who admitted indecnt assult and rape of an under age girl he pleaded guilty, and got 3 1/2 years his name was anthony john filmer any one remeber him or the case?

5 did anyone grow up on the estate at the time and have any memories of it, ie the heat wave 76 ish going to the stand pipe for water every day.

the flasher that plagued the park in the 70s

the lil tea rooms in the middle of the park? and the shops that were on the high street in the 70s???

oh and peckham lido??

a lot of Qs i know but any memories will be awesome have been writing this book for 3 years, but without dates it wont be acurate.

if you could post anything you know here or email me at [email protected] id be for ever indebted

Hi, I used to live in Rye Hill Park, in one of the big houses. We had the top floor. Sorry I can't help with any dates - but there was a flasher who used to wait at the railings of Honor Oak School and watch us playing tennis and netball, v. creepy. I also remember the air raid shelter. I'll talk to my mum - she may remember some dates for you.

GSJ57 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi, I used to live in Rye Hill Park, in one of the

> big houses. We had the top floor. Sorry I can't

> help with any dates - but there was a flasher who

> used to wait at the railings of Honor Oak School

> and watch us playing tennis and netball, v.

> creepy. I also remember the air raid shelter. I'll

> talk to my mum - she may remember some dates for

> you.

hi i remember the flasher he hung around outside our school, i went to waverley, be great if you could talk to y

our mum and thank you for your help.

computedshorty Wrote:

> Do you remember the number of your Masonette, if

> facing the Rye it would have been an odd number as

> those on that side of the Rye were Called Peckham

> Rye East just odd numbers the other side of the

> Rye Barry Road side it was just caled Peckham Rye

> with only Even numbers. I remember the tram track

> finished just a little up the road from Rye Hill

> Park junction with Stuart Road.

we lived at no 16 all the maisonettes were even nos, i have remembered sevreal of the familys that lived there as we were all there a long many years, mainly because the block was new and the accomodation really nice.

next door to use at 14 was nanna rose and grandad fred. atno 12 was th roses, the caretaker lived at no2 an irish man we all called mack, his wife died fairly young.

we used to play in the garages in front of the block, and up on the grass around the 3 tower blocks, there was a concrete circle which we used to play games like cannon ball and olly olly ox and free.

angetastic Wrote:

> You are speaking of Rye Hill Estate where I live.

> The 'old blocks' running from the maisonettes are

> Welland/ Trent/ Frome/ Rother and Waveney House

> (built in 1931). The Tenants Hall was built in the

> 70s I think but I can find out as I'm secretary of

> Rye Hill TA. There are a fair few older people who

> still live on the estate and remember the 70s

> well. I could put you in touch.

that is great news and thankyou. we watched the ta being built in fact i tell of its being built in my book, for we were on school holidays and we managed to start the tractor they had on site, unfortunatly we couldnt drive it and crashed it into the wall.

also i know of all the old ta, like charlie dean.

We joined the ta and played for sevreal years in a large band called the mimettes it was ran then by a man called tony merrick. we mimed along to popular songs and played instruments and toured local pubs and clubs even putting on sevreal shows for the club members raising money for charity.

the ta put on christmas parties for us kids, and then when i was 14 i and a friend donna took over the disco on a sat night and ran the disco ever sat for around 5 years,

So you see the tenants hall forms a vital back ground in the book itsself so any help you can give me is of great help.

ps the working title for the book is a pocket full of Rye

best wishes and thank you all again

>

> Angela.

• 3 years later...

I don't know if it is the same place but when I lived in Fenwick Road we lived in the block facing the road. Strickland Court, during the late 70's and early 80s. I was about five when I moved there and eleven when I left. Had loads of mates from each block. This forum is great for trips down memory lane.

David