If you have a cleaner, how long for, what do they do and how much do you pay them

3.5 hours a week

5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, downstairs loo

(2 bedrooms in loft, not really used, so just get a cursory clean every couple of weeks)

They dust, vacuum, generally clean every room. Kitchen gets a thorough clean. Change the bed linen in the master bedroom only, and iron 5 work shirts. They do the insides of windows when needed etc., and if we are away I still get them to come and do things they don't usually have time to do, like the fridge.

I pay ?10 per hour, but then an additional week's pay every quarter as holiday pay (I think I pay less than other clients for my particular cleaners, but I've used them for years and get them a lot of work!).

Yes, that definitely sounds like it's the problem! Have you confronted her about not working the hours you are paying for? I think 3.5 hours is long enough for an average sized house to get a proper clean, I know I can do it in that time.

Could you make her a list of things that need extra attention? Maybe by pointing out the things that aren't being done properly she will realise she needs to spend more time to "do the house"!

Personally, having had cleaners like that in the past, I would think it's time for a change, but I know how tricky it can be.

If she has been with you for years and standards have only just dipped then surely you need to be speaking to her and asking her if everything is ok with her? Trying to find out why things have changed, not just assuming that she is ripping you off or needs to be got rid of.