christmas due date and relatives over - advice needed

My due date is NYE (fab for a start!) and obviously I cannot stray far from home for Christmas. So, we're having the family over to ours (Hopefully it means I won't have to do ANYTHING over the festive period - some hope).My quandary is where to put them as I'm hoping for a home birth and it could get a wee bit crowded (and embarrassing). Does anyone know any reasonable (and nice) guesthouses in ED or nearby surrounding areas that will be open as Christmas time - even better is anyone scarpering from ED across the Christmas period and wants to rent out their house/flat? It's only two well behaved and house trained gentlemen (my brother and father) so we don't need a lot of spare space. Could you let me know?

poor you . my son was due 14th dec, but was born 29th dec. it was a planned home birth, the christmas i had planned fell apart as giving birth you usually feel you want to be alone- think animal finding a quiet spot and getting on with it. the thought of having to think about anyone else is not easy. one thing is for sure you have to have flexible plans.you may well have your baby early. i would think about one of those novotels- the one near lambeth bridge?

Not sure if the Uplander pub is all booked during that week but they have decently priced rooms that are good for parents staying over (mine were quite happy there). If they do have space make sure to book immediately. There is also a local couple who run a B&B, not sure if they still do it and what they do over xmas - I believe their user ID on this forum is angehouse. Good luck!

I felt quite differently to Womanofdulwich. Was due Christmas Day but decided to have relatives over anyway. The day was great, didn't end up going into labour until 31st. Was also planning a home birth. Would also agree the Upland is decent enough.

Ryedalema,

I was due on NYE last year! Reading your post just made me feel all emotional, brought back all those xmas/baby excited feelings I had. What we did was christmas at ours and the in laws stayed over but they had a back up plan in that 1 of them didn't drink so could drive home later that day if needed.

As it happens our daughter was 9 days late and I was full of energy right up until she was born so I had no probs coping with hosting xmas.

Sorry, no real help with recommending places for your family to stay, although maybe the Rye hotel has rooms??

Thanks for all your help everyone. I think I'll try the Upland for spaces. I know what you all mean about due dates being completely spurious - my first was 2 weeks early (I can only hope!) but my brother and dad - although lovely, are kinda used to being waited on hand and foot by the previous women in their lives (don't get me started). So having them underfoot would be just too exhausting methinks. Plus there's the whole 'Why can't you put that in the dishwasher? It won't wash itself.' irritations, that'll drive me bonkers. And my husband, dad and brother are all Leos and all want to rule the roost - so better safe than sorry - I'll pack them off to a B&B.