Advice / tradesman for air vent in old fireplace

josborn

Hi ED

Bit of a random one... I just moved into a house that has been VERY cheaply converted. The philistine of a previous owner ripped out all the victorian fireplaces but what is confusing me is that the air vents are 10cms from the ceiling at the top of the wall, rather than 3 bricks up from the floor where the fire used to be, as I've seen previously. I'm not really sure what kind of a tradesman I need to ask about this. Anyone have experience with ripping out fireplaces who could recommend someone?

My questions in case anyone else has experienced this:

1- given it's very odd placement, is this vent still doing it's job of preventing humidity?

2 - if no, do I really need it? It's slap bang in the middle of a wall and looks really odd

3 - if I do need a vent, can I put one a the bottom of the wall and seal this one at the top?

Thank you as always!

Jess

Hello mate , every fireplace I have bricked up or covered up I have put air brick at bottom , if vents at top then there will be bad circulation at bottom which may cause moisture , I would cover up top vent and punch hole three bricks up and put either air brick or cover hole with a hit and miss plastic vent, if you need a price for job let me know,

Regards

Dave

Archived