Dry January..

DulwichFox

red devil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mick, how did last year's weight loss programme

> go?...

ill read that as a genuine question RD - Lost well over a stone in January 2015 - slowly putting most of it all back on over the following 11 months, this January have lost half a stone and hope to lose a bit more. its a bit easier to shake the weight off in a dry janaury, which I was doing last year.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> edcam Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> > Alcohol-free beer is vile.

>

> Yes, it is . But some of the so called craft beer tastes no better..

Which ones? I have a couple of particular "craft" beers in mind which tastes pretty bad!!

Regarding non-alcoholic.. Becks Blue is just about drinkable, IMO. Not 'good' as such, but I can drink it.

It's a strange thing or maybe not so strange.. but I often end up having a curry after a couple of beers

or sometimes before.. During my abstinence from alcohol I have not been out so much and as a consequence

have not been having my usual 3-4 curries a week.

My most recent curry seemed to taste so much better as a result of the break..

I'm hoping my first pint will be as rewarding.. and looking very much forward to it. :)

Foxy..

Ruffler Wrote:

> Brew Dog's Nanny State scored highly in a recent Guardian review of alcohol free beers.

I've been meaning to get some of that "Nanny State" for those driving days... but not seen any in the shops. I might order some. That Bavaria stuff is revolting (as is the Cobra), and the Erdinger one is just really really odd tasting.

Yep, I was in a pub at the weekend and was drinking Becks Blue at ?3 a pop......tut.

Not long to go now!

I'm generally feeling better- more energy, better mood, improved sleep, more motivated etc.

Nevertheless I've found it particularly grim this year (possibly because I gave up smoking last year so with not drinking too I have nothing to fall back on!)and so, despite now being in the habit of not drinking, I will be mighty glad of a glass on wine soon!

Well done binkylilyput..

Becks Blue is ?2.65 (275ml) in The Bishop but they had run out a few days ago..

I'm generally feeling in a better mood, improved sleep. need sun to get motivated ..

don't get motivated until mercury hits mid 70's..

Think you really cherish that first glass of wine..

DulwichFox

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to ME!!!!!! & to anyone who got through January without any alcohol : )

I can't believe i did it & i still haven't had a drop yet, saving myself for Valentines weekend ; )

I feel much better & not having a hangover for a month is a good feeling. Same again next year? lol

well done indeed.

Will ask though - if you find it hard to stop for a month, does that not make you think there is something wrong somewhere?

Foxy, you say you don't go out unless you go out for a drink, which is understandable - but the money you save - you could get up to all sorts! Spend half of it throughout the the year and one super holiday! Even if you go out less, there would be payoff..

www.meetup.com

This is a really good site for finding likeminded groups to join - of course - you can just go along to try it out and it isn't a set group so don't worry about feeling an 'outsider'.

Angelina Wrote:

> well done indeed.

>

> Will ask though - if you find it hard to stop for

> a month, does that not make you think there is

> something wrong somewhere?

>

> Foxy, you say you don't go out unless you go out

> for a drink, which is understandable - but the

> money you save - you could get up to all sorts!

> Spend half of it throughout the the year and one

> super holiday! Even if you go out less, there

> would be payoff..

>

> www.meetup.com

> This is a really good site for finding likeminded

> groups to join - of course - you can just go along

> to try it out and it isn't a set group so don't

> worry about feeling an 'outsider'.

It wasn't hard to stop.. I have been cutting down for several years to what I might of drunk 10 years ago...

Like I said based on 3 pints a night @ ?4.00 per pint -- ?12.00 per night is ?4,380 per annum.

I do out for a meal and often just drink water. Alcohol ruins the taste of food.. IMHO.

I go out to meet people , not specifically to drink. I drink very little alcohol.

By staying in a few nights a week I saved ?1,000 + in 2015.. ?2,400 in 2013..

?320.00 in Jan 2016.

I did have 2 good holidays in 2014 and 2 in 2015. So money saved is put to good use..

Most pubs in East Dulwich are pretty dire and I have very little desire to travel further afield

just to drink 1-2 pints.. I seldom drink alcohol during the day..

DulwichFox

No need to justify yourself DulwichFox, dry Jan is a great thing to do whether you find it hard or not and does not have to be an indication of something being wrong. The savings calculation and accompanied holidays must feel great!

I still feel pretty good following dry Jan and have enjoyed a glass of wine or two over the past week. Definitely notice a change in sleep and energy levels etc following a drink but I'm willing to take that!

Jeremy Wrote:

> Have I misunderstood your post, Fox? You say you

> drink very little alcohol. But mentioned something

> about drinking 3 pints a night, every night...

> which is really quite a lot...

3 pints a Day is my Max.. (lightweight) so I base my daily savings on that amount..

Normally I would drink 1 or 2 pints over 2 hours. when I go out or have the occasional night off..

I'm not knocking back pints and shots.. bottles of red wine. might have a Drambuie at bed time..

Hope that's ok. ? lol

Foxy..