Street Cycle Store (at the end of Thorncombe Road)

ed_pete

Thanks James for the information. Who would I contact after I have rallied few people together?

Don't suppose anyone who lives on or near Silvester road would be interested in putting there bike in a hangar storage

Shelter?

Fly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So you can only get 2 bikes per household. So if

> you have 3 cyclists in the house you can't do this

> so still need a car.

The hangars only stores 6 bikes, 2 per household is more than fair, its a facility for all the community after all

• 1 month later...

Hi carlhe,

The response was great for the Hangar and I have got 7 people for the six spaces. The process may take some time and I can take your details down too if you like so if we have a drop out you can come onboard.

The application is with the council and they are to meet in the summer to discuss it further so if you want to be put on the list let me know via PM and ill send an email to them adding you on the list.

Right, I spoke to Cycle Hoop today to see how I could go about getting one close to (or yes - even better - in front of) my house and they said that all requests were passed on to the council and decisions on exact locations were made by the council, based on levels of interest. As each hanger takes six bikes, you need at least six requests nearby to have a good chance of getting one.

They will also send you canvassing cards you can pass to your neighbours though to see if there's anyone else nearby interested. I'm just waiting for mine now.

In the meantime, anyone interested in the Upland Road/Hindmans Road/bottom of Barry Road area send me a PM.

personally (and as a cyclist)I'm not massively keen on these, visually very poor, and inadequate in terms of capacity. I think there are c. 20 houses in my street, I'm, looking at 2 bikes in my hallway with another 2 in my garage, only 2 spaces left....

just my thoughts before you shout!

geh Wrote:

> personally (and as a cyclist)I'm not massively

> keen on these, visually very poor, and inadequate

> in terms of capacity. I think there are c. 20

> houses in my street, I'm, looking at 2 bikes in my

> hallway with another 2 in my garage, only 2 spaces

> left....

>

> just my thoughts before you shout!

Easy to criticise without offering an alternative isn't it?, so what would you suggest?

Personally I think the design looks good, as well as the fact they only take up half a car parking space whilst providing secure, extremely cheap parking for 6 bikes & equipment is also a huge benefit.

As a supposed 'cyclist' yourself surely any system that facilitates bike use is nothing but a positive???

• 4 months later...

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

> Fly Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So if

> > you have 3 cyclists in the house you can't do

> this

> > so still need a car.

>

> Cobblers.

Quite. There are very few people in London who actually "need" a car and if the alternative is cycling, you definitely don't need a car. Public transport?

Anyway, anything that encourages cycling is a good thing.

• 6 months later...