sainsburys parking chaos dulwich football

boomshake

Chief Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Straightforward solution: Sainsbury should put a

> time limit on parking 7 days a week, with ?100

> fine if limit exceeded.

There is already a 3 hr. max parking time limit as I understand it..

Enough time to go to the Game AND then do some shopping.

Reducing it to 2 hrs would not give time to shop..

They've worked it all out..

DulwichFox

I dcn't see why traffic coming along the main road should be held up so much for cars leaving Sainsburys. When it was first opened Dog Kennel Hill traffic was given clear priority, now the time length seems about even. As usual big business gets their own way.

As usual big business gets their own way.

As the numbers of Sainsbury's vehicles using this feed-in are relatively minimal, compared with the numbers of shoppers cars using it, actually the benefit (if there is one) is to ordinary people, not big business. I doubt whether we would use the shop less if there was a longer wait to get out - certainly if it has changed, when I first used the shop, when it first opened, such a wait was not too onerous. In my experience DKH still gets the longer time - actually extending it would make it far easier to get into the shop from the direction of Goose Green - which is the most common entry point - and thus to the benefit of the store which wants people arriving rather than leaving.

With regard to the 'history'...Dulwich Hamlet owned the ground, until the very early Seventies. It was sold back then to Office Cleaning Services, who philanthropically bought it to save the Club from financial disaster, after a decade of struggling on and off the pitch, throughout the Sixties. The Goodliffe family owned that company back then, and they played for The Hamlet in the 1930's, some of the brothers winning amateur Cup medals with the Club in those halcyon pre-war days.

In the late Eighties they sold it on to Kings College London (the medical school, not the hospital). By then the old ground was ismply falling apart, with major parts of it not in use. At one stage only the centre of the old wooden stand was in use, with a safety certificate for only 300 spectators.

The old ground was not just in disrepair, after decades of neglect, but also subject to the same safety laws as Anfield, Highbury, Old Trafford et al, as it had a potential capacity of over 10,000; despite crowds only being a couple of hundred at the time.

Kings College came to a deal to sell their old sportsground on Dog Kennel Hill, which suffered extremely poor drainage, in return for taking over the Griffin Sportsground in the Village, which was the old Sainsburys sportsground, and in return for Dulwich Hamlet Football Club giving up the remainder of their lease, they would get a new smaller ground built, on approximately the same site. Sainsburys covers where the old training pitch was, & the Kings sportsground is now part car park part St Francis Park, which made it a public open space for the first time.

If this had not gone through Dulwich Hamlet would have folded, as the Club did not have the money to maintain the ground.

Unfortunately, the Club only got a short-term lease, and have suffered by some, shall we say being polite 'slightly dodgy ownership issues'. King's College remained as the landlord, and Sainsbury's have never been our landlords. Their original development paid for the ground, in return for the Club giving up the remainder of the old lease, without which they would not have been able to build their store.

I hope that makes sense...

Perhaps the easiest solution would be to convert the stadium into a giant car wash - extending the existing facility.

DHFC could play their matches on Goose Green, with jumpers for goal posts. Their hipster supporters could pop into the EDT for a shandy after the game. Sainsbury shoppers could shop without worrying about a shortage of parking spaces. Everybody would then be happy and could stop moaning about pathetic inconveniences of no consequence?

Part of the joy of supporting a local team is walking down to the ground wearing pink and blue. Apparently a lot of fans were spotted getting on trains at London Bridge, having travelled from North London - transtranspontine? (just "pontine"?)

I actually live on Melbourne Grove but I park in saino's each morning before my daily commute from ED station to London Bridge. However on Tuesday nights I find it can take a terrible amount of time to get out of the car park thanks to some jerk wheeling his vibraphone across the crossing having been ejected from the terraces of champion hill for making too much of a din. Something needs to be done.