Petrol thefts in Wood Vale

Growlybear

Unfortunately they are simply cutting the fuel pipe Ruffers - you can't get an alarm for a plastic pipe. Its all so pointless as the engine only holds a few quid in fuel anyway. Too trivial for the Boys in Blue to bother with either i imagine. :'(

BQC wrote Its all so pointless as the engine only holds a few quid in fuel anyway. Too trivial for the Boys in Blue to bother with either i imagine

That's true (perhaps) if we are talking about making the same use for the petrol as the original owner intended, but only a few quids of petrol makes a merry blaze if you want one - and if I was an arsonist (which I'm not) I might choose to (a) steal my combustant rather than buy it (no paper trail) and (b) do so some distance from my intended conflagration.

Just a thought.

There is no motion when you cut the pipe Ruffers. These sensors only work if you try and take the bike and the whole thing moves ... appreciate the idea though. ?10 might be better spent on a pair of night-vision goggles ...

ianr - 2 arrests made, and of course, never guilty until proven, unless it happens to affect me in which case hang the buggers.

ruffers - its a tiny rubber pipe hanging off the bottom of the scooter. a design flaw yes, but a sensor would not go off as the movement needed to take the pipe off is minimal.

Police called and 'will call you back'.

Am personally thinking of a more direct approach and attaching a battery so if the little sods try it again, they and the bike go up in smoke.

Even if it hangs down, presumably they need to put their hands on it to position whatever they are cutting it with and hold the cut end to their container... So... could you cover the fuel line pipe in something sticky and/or unpleasant and see if that puts them off? Black oily stuff or treacle or something...

If the little b*st*rds can actually be bothered to walk the streets at 3am to steal ?2 worth motorbike petrol, i doubt a bit of black oil will put them off. A stun-gun might do the trick though. Or we should employ Monty the Peckham Park attack dog to keep watch.

A ?10 alarm would be disposed of pretty quickly, and then I would be out of pocket for ?8 of petrol, ?20 fuel line plus the alarm. Plus of course, it would be clanking about while you drive. Go and have a look on a vespa just above the exhaust, but under the bodywork, you will see what I mean.

Really, a Top Gear style big piano suspended about 10m up with a hair trigger would be great.

HOWEVER, The little sods are getting a conscience. They emptied it again last night, but this time left enough in AND reconnected the hose so I could at least get to the garage and fill up on the way to work.

I was almost happy.

ruffers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> OK, I'm used to motorbikes and didn't realise the

> fuel line hung off the bottom. Could you hang a

> ten pound alarm off the line itself..?

??

Of course, a grainy night shot taken at 3am will solve everything.

That is, if they actually come that night!

Sue Wrote:

> You could stay up all night with a camera??

I can assure you the 'boys in blue' are concerned. I've spoken to them about this. A surprising proportion are bikers themselves so they understand how expensive, annoying and inconvenient this crime is for the victims even if the value of the petrol stolen is minor.

Please do report such crime so that they can get a picture of what is happening and try resolving it.

TJ Wrote:

> ??

> Of course, a grainy night shot taken at 3am will

> solve everything.

> That is, if they actually come that night!

Would putting a motion-activated light up deter them because it draws attention or make it easier for them to find the line...

At least then, if you heard them, you might get a shot of their hooded selves (not a generalisation that it's hoodies doing it - just that if you were committing theft, you'd probably wear something to hide your face)

Hi James - this is great news, except none of the 6 calls and messages i have made / left to the police have been returned.

The number I have for college ward is: 020 8721 2442

Really, is it any wonder people dont report crime???? They are bloody useless.

To all the people who have responded:

Thank you so much for your time. I have spoken to Richard Warren at College Ward Southward police (ED falls into 3 wards, College, Peckham Rye & East Dulwich) who has suggested the following:

Please report all thefts, whether petrol theft, registration plate theft, vehicle theft, vandalism, a break in or even suspicious behaviour.

We are in a catch-22 where the police are aware of an increase in crimes (particularly vehicle), but cannot act as so many are not properly reported. I am guilty of this as I know it won't achieve anything for that particular incident, however, we must all report each incident. The police said they have made 2 recent arrests, but this relates more to vehicle theft so we all need to keep going. There appears to be more than one team at work.

The police know where the root of the problem lies but cannot act without more evidence of crime.

If we all apply pressure by reporting every activity, we will soon get a response as the media & politicians will jump on the bandwagon and force plod to respond. Late, but better than never.

Please see the link below! Please, please report each of the crimes you told me about!

TJ

http://www.met.police.uk/reporting_crime/

Looks like the pipe goes right inside the bike .. i've no idea how to take apart an engine. The other end simply fits into the tank & is held by a Jubilee clip. A defo design fault. Been thinking about a "slash proof security bag" to fit over the whole bike .. should take this idea to the Dragons Den ! Do you know any on the market ruffers ?