All things Beckenham

Steph

My plan in 2010 is to be moved to Beckenham by November this year. Mainly we are going because we have a new baby due in May have a wee toddler at home already in our tiny 2 bed flat and we can't afford to move up a level property wise within East Dulwich.

We will be looking for a 3 bed house for around ?250K or a tiny bit more.

I know lots of people have friends in Beckenham so I was wondering if you could ask around/ give me advise on areas, mostly based around good schools (school recommendations would be good too) Obviously with our budget we wont be in the best part of Beckenham but if anyone can advise on the middle ground areas that would be great.

Thanks

Steph

Hi Steph

Friends of ours were in the same position a few years ago and moved to Beckenham from Honor Oak Park. They live on Queens Road, very close to Clock House station (into London Bridge) and to Beckenham Spa and speak in glowing terms of Balgowan Primary.

Best of luck with your plans.

Zo?

I've got two friends who live very near Balgowan School, both with kids there (though one only started today!). It's a very nice, safe, family-oriented area though it's quite a big school (three or four intakes, if I remember rightly which I always think seems a lot). Overall it seems a good place to live and my friends are certainly settled there though it's a bit lacking in funky bars/independent shops compared to ED. Good sausage shop though!

By the way, despite size of Balgowan School, there was a bit of an uproar last school year as so many places were taken by siblings that they ended up with a tiny catchment area. So might be worth asking about that if you're thinking to buy.

Might be worth trying Mumsnet for info on the area etc.

Re.school catchment areas, the council might publish details of size of catchment etc. and the admissions criteria. Wouldn't believe estate agents when it comes to what streets are in catchment areas.

Hi - yr post made me smile in sympathy as we were in same position 4 years ago - but in 2-bed flat in Penge rather than lovely ED. :o)

I wanted to move to Becks as all my NCT pals were in Becks,I spent hal primary schools all lovely. But we found (in 2006, may have changed) we didn't get much house for yr money: 3 bedrooms around Balgowan school were ?320-340K and we ended up moving to Sydenham Hill area (edge of Lewisham and Southwark).

We had been looking round the Balgowan school area, as I had 2 friends round there at the time: they now have 3 children at the school. It is very good, very active PTA and high-powered mums, and my friends are very pleased with the school. It has 3 form entry as someone else mentions. The catchment is tiny at the moment: similar situation to Heber and Goodrich in ED.

Another lovely school is Clare House, on the Shortlands side of Beckenham, but only one-form entry. And if you're catholic, you're sorted, as long as you attend St Edmunds starting now: St Mary's has a great reputation.

At the time, with our 2 yr olds and bumps, all we thought about was primary schools. Now, rather tragically, with our 6 yr olds, school chat is now all about secondary schools: and Becks is surprising not well served: Cator Park Girls or kelsey boys. (I don't know why? Does everyone just go private?) The Langely boys and girls schools are excellent, but new expensive developments nearby have made them very hard to get into. 4 sets of friends have moved from Becks to West Wickham or Hayes in the past couple of years , as they have both lovely primary schools, and very good comps.

Can you tell my beckenham friends talk about this a lot?

Hope this brain-dump has helped- good luck with the move, and baby #2.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've read many posts on here over the past few months, and thought I'd just venture on to say you are most welcome to ask .us over here on www.BeckenhamTown.us too. Balgowan is indeed a very good primary school, and even the secondary schools will see a marked improvement as Kelsey Park Sports College will from 5th September 2011 become Harris Academy Beckenham (co-ed) and Cator Park become Harris Academy Bromley (girls, mixed 6th Form) with extra funding coming from the well respected Harris Federation. This will also see less families moving out of the Clock House Area to the Langley schools catchment area no doubt too, so fewer homes available and perhaps prices even increasing. Any more info just let us know or ask our residents here on our site.

Cheers

Jon

I have friends in both Beckenham and West Wickham, both served well for primary schools but you have to look long term for the secondary schools Langley Boys and Girls (separate schools) are good but small catchment area and I don't think Balgowan area is close enough,there is Ravenswood and I think Ravensbourne secondary schools, Hayes Secondary School has a good reputation. Hayes is on the Beckenham train line. Further afield you have St Olaves Grammer(boys) and Newstead Wood (girls). Good luck with your search.