Peeling bathroom ceiling - advice needed

carolod

Just need some advice & would be grateful if anyone could advise what I should do.

My bathroom ceiling was peeling in some parts so I removed the chipped paint with a paint scraper but instead of filling it (as some parts were quite big) I painted it over with primer. I'm not sure if I should have patched it first with a patching compound & sanded it before priming it. I can see the difference in the parts that weren't chipped away now to the parts that were.

Any advice as what I should do would be much appreciated.

Hi,I have a similar problem at the moment with some paint I've scraped off above a fire place after the chimney breast leaked. I'm looking into getting a plaster to come round and skim the whole patch rather than trying to smooth the edges. Might be a solution?? Good luck.

Did you not paint the whole ceiling again ? You will need to fill the newly primed bits fill them to same level as the existing paint on ceiling with easifill or tetrion filler then rub them down lightly with a 180 grade sandpaper and prime them again slightly watering down the paint, then paint the whole ceiling with a medium pile roller for an even match of opacity with acrylic eggshell (water based).

The original problem could be caused by the following;

1 no proper miss coat on the plaster or ceiling surface.

2 the wrong paint used.

3 not enough drying times between coats.

4 not enough or correct ventilation in bathroom.

5 or a leak or distemper.

Archived