Mumps vaccine

I think the problem is wider than that to be honest. Merck (the only manufacturer of a single mumps vaccine with a proven safety record) has stopped producing the mumps jab for sometime now. As far as i've read, it has no intention of re-commencing production of MUMPSVAX. It wants to focus on the production of the combined MMR vaccine instead as this is where global demand is. I hear that no clinics have access to a single mumps vaccine and so I don't think there's an alternative to the MMR jab if you want to immunise against mumps. See link below:

http://www.breakspearmedical.com/files/mumps_shortage.html

Three doses? Are you sure?

It was my understanding that the MMR was given in two doses - one at 13 months and a pre-school booster (this is because the first jab leaves approximately 10% still vulnerable to the diseases so the pre-school booster is to cover those). Recently because of the rise in measles the government/nhs/whoever has brought the booster forward, but I have never heard of being given three doses.

I think the OP is asking where she can get the mumps vaccine, not debating the fact of whether her little one should have it or not.

Best,

-C

edited for typo

I know this doesn't answer the original question of this thread, but just in response to above MMR is now being given at 12 and 15 months in this area on advice of Health Protection Agency due to measles outbreaks. So first MMR is offered at same time as other 12 month jabs. Haven't heard about the 3 doses.