We can't find a nanny - am I doing something wrong?

We have been looking for a nanny 3 days a week for our 3 boys since late december. I don't think I have been overly fussy, but we have only found 3 to interview, none of whom worked out for various reasons. I am scouring simply childcare, childcare.co.uk, and nannyjob daily but there seem to be very few nannies out there, or only nannies who want one or two particular days. Any ideas where else we can look? Are 3 children putting them off? Any advice gratefully received!

I have always found it extremely difficult to find a full time nanny for my 4. I think many nannies only want up to 2 and I have seen some nannies specify only one child.

I advertised for a full time nanny about 2 years ago on this forum and didn't get a single reply even though I was offering excellent rates and 3 of my 4 were at school.

Are yours all preschool?

No, my eldest is at school and my middle son is at morning nursery two days per week, so there is actually not much time when the nanny would have all three of them ( except school holidays). I wonder if I should advertise a generous rate of pay, or would that attract some of the wrong people?

if you have room in your house for an au pair, you might have better luck, and, it would be less expensive. I have had many au pairs from universalaupairs.com, and, a few of my friends have also used the same company. You can browse through the listings to see if there are suitable candidates. To contact a potential condidate, you have to pay a 30pound registration fee. That is the only fee. It is a good website as the girls have to write a bit about themselves which reveals not just personality and interests, but, the level of english they have mastered.

Pardon this message if an au pair is not an option for you -

Best, Otto

• 1 month later...
Hello,this is Andrea here. I'm just wondering if you still looking for a Nanny. I am an OFSTED registered Nanny, moved to Lewisham from East Dulwich last August. I love dulwich and miss it deeply...Anyway, I am looking for work from September for Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. I start studying at Greenwich University from September on Tuesdays, this is why Tuesdays are not available for the first year of my studies. My contract ends in August but happy to start at new job earlier after giving 6 weeks notice to current employer. Please contact me if you are interested. Regards, Andrea 0798 4039 313