Covid Complacency

As well as all the non-compliance highlighted on the Supermarket Delivery thread I was not happy to open the door to a Hermes delivery yesterday where she handed me the parcel so was not distancing and had no mask either.

Previously any deliveries we have had they rang the bell, put the box on the ground and then moved back and were wearing a mask.

Are these people not informed by their employers that the virus is getting out of hand due to the complacency?

It is not just delivery drivers, it is also shop staff, who in spite of the law requiring they all wear masks, and properly at that, many are not, including Asda in Rye Lane yesterday. In fact, I lost count of the shops, where no mask wearing by staff was on display, from fast food shops to hairdressers. Who is enforcing any of this? If I can cycle down a high street and see all of this from outside, where are the covid marshalls who are supposed to be doing this? I would also add that there are a couple of restaurants who are often full and have no extra space between tables than normal. Again, who is enforcing on that? Who is responsible for enforcement?

seenbeen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As well as all the non-compliance highlighted on

> the Supermarket Delivery thread I was not happy to

> open the door to a Hermes delivery yesterday where

> she handed me the parcel so was not distancing and

> had no mask either.

> Previously any deliveries we have had they rang

> the bell, put the box on the ground and then moved

> back and were wearing a mask.

> Are these people not informed by their employers

> that the virus is getting out of hand due to the

> complacency?

Is this not going a bit over the top? i.e. not opening your door to delivery drivers? The rules were relaxed a while ago on this so I'm surprised that people are still on high alert every time somebody knocks on their door.

Clutterqueen Wrote:

> Is this not going a bit over the top? i.e. not

> opening your door to delivery drivers? The rules

> were relaxed a while ago on this so I'm surprised

> that people are still on high alert every time

> somebody knocks on their door.

According to the information compiled by the Institute for Government (last updated 30/09/20) in England face masks are compulsory in shops, on public transport etc. - https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/coronavirus-lockdown-rules-four-nations-uk

'Face coverings - Advised where social distancing not possible. Compulsory on public transport, in shops and supermarkets, and other indoor settings such as museums, cinemas, galleries and places of worship.

From 24 September, face masks will be required in hospitality venues unless seated at a table.'

Most courier companies and other companies delivering to the door, i.e. Sainsburys, set out their policy on their websites.

Complain to the organisation or business involved and CC your MP/councillor. (MPs require full address and phone number in any letter to them.) It's unlikely the MP will react to the email but the manager or owner will understand your seriousness about the matter.

Clutterqueen, what if that person knocking on your door is couching, or sneezing as they grab your crate for delivery? As we get into cold and flu season, the argument for wearing masks is going to grow if covid spreads exponentially off the back of that. And also, it is worth pointing out that a lot of those using home delivery are doing so precisely because they belong to higher risk groups. If anything, that makes going the extra mile a case of common sense.

There?s never going to be a time when everyone takes the same measures or judges the severity of Covid / flu / driving through a red light / stopping for pedestrians to cross ....the same.

If you see something that makes you uncomfortable say if you feel ok about that.

A local shop or business appear not to be following measures you think they should - raise it. You might need to do it more than once I raised staff not wearing masks over their noses in Sainsburys and it improved for a few days. Need to do it again but maybe one person remembers and they then prompt someone else. Also you are the customer, say you will be reluctant to go until it changes.

Or just do what you feel and maybe others will take note. Since the level went from 3 to 4 I now wear a mask outside - lockdown is the next level and no one wants that. I?m in the minority and don?t expect that to change overnight but I remember my dad saying that when drink driving laws came in it was something that hadn?t been thought about, by the time I learnt to drive most people wouldn?t think to drink and drive but there are still those that do. That?s going to be the same for any Covid measures.

My understanding is Council?s are to provide the Covid Marshalls from existing staff / resources so I don?t see how they can make much difference. Surely education is better than enforcement? I doubt East Dulwich would be a priority anyhow - limited resources would need to be targeted.

AylwardS Wrote:

> A local shop or business appear not to be

> following measures you think they should - raise

> it. You might need to do it more than once I

> raised staff not wearing masks over their noses in

> Sainsburys and it improved for a few days. Need to

> do it again but maybe one person remembers and

> they then prompt someone else. Also you are the

> customer, say you will be reluctant to go until it

> changes.

This is the problem - it's supposed to be a process put in place from the top then employees are trained on it and follow it without forgetting or lapsing (or if they do they go back to the training)

If a pilot crashes his plane you don't just remind him not to next time - you look at the process and why it wasn't followed.

My feeling (I was in Asda and no staff had their masks on) is that the process is not to wear masks - not that the staff are not following it.

JohnL fair point it should be top down. Have you told Asda you think a process isn?t in place? Asda should listen if their customer?s feeling is their staff are not told to wear masks - whether they are or not. As a customer tell Asda you?ll shop elsewhere until you feel staff know they should be wearing them (probably not all will all the time even then) that should make them take notice / action.

If nothing is said / people keep going somewhere there is no incentive for change and a business won?t tell staff to wear masks.

The law and protecting their customers should be enough of a reason but would appear not to be so they need an incentive that gets their attention - losing customers would do it.