Masks (or lack of) on the train

ed_pete

My experience is that between 2% and 5% of tube/ train users don't wear masks. At Green Park this time last week (having got there seeing no transgressors) there were 3 middle aged women, two young (20's) women and one middle aged man - all white - happily not wearing any face covering. Two of the middle aged women and the young women were talking closely to each other. One woman brushed past me as she rushed to catch a train. At least 4 of those I saw, by their age at least, were in at risk groups. Coming back there were a couple mask-less and several who clearly don't think that both mouth and nose need to be covered.

But the vast majority of travellers were complying. Remember, it's because of the mask-less that hand-washing or sanitising is important.

Fishbiscuits - the official term is chin diaper. I confess I'm guilty of sporting a chin diaper in between shops, rather than taking it off and putting it on again. It does annoy me when I see people wearing masks ineffectively (i.e. not covering the nose, or just on the chin) in shops, on the train, etc. Sainsbury's seems to be one of the worst offenders. I don't think that staff are obliged to wear them, but it's common-sense to wear one properly when mixing with the public, rather than having a natter with your colleagues across the checkouts with a mask around your chin.

ed26 all those asked who do then pull their mask up don?t make for a good news story. There will always be those who react in a violent and uncalled for way, thankfully they are in the minority.

If you feel comfortable ask someone to cover their nose / pull their mask up. If you see someone do it back them up but bear in mind that as well as those choosing not to wear masks there are those who are exempt and this doesn?t need to be proven.

I?ve done it sometimes and not others. When I have I?ve never received an aggressive response. I know I?ve put my mask down to have a drink and then forgotten to pull it up straightaway, it wasn?t intentional but I wasn?t wearing a mask when I meant to / should have been. I?d not have a problem with someone asking me to put a mask on and from what I?ve seen most people don?t.

I used to politely ask people to wear their masks properly or ask if they were exempt as they weren't wearing a mask but after reading that news piece and having a woman repeatedly jab me in the ribs whilst swearing at me on a packed underground train when I asked her to please put her mask on not wear it on her chin I stopped saying anything.

I'd say on my daily commute to the west end a good 20% of commuters young/old/male/female all races dont wear a mask.

It infuriates me.

Its because of people like them that we now find ourselves in tier2.

Its selfish and stupid.

I HATE wearing a mask-it makes my nose itch and my glasses steam up but I wear one for 12 hours a day (from leaving home/commute/all day at work) with only 30 mins respite for lunch.

why cant someone wear one for a 20 min train journey?

Having the same problems with mask wearing as I wear a hearing aid and the ear straps catch on aid. I now wear a visor which is better but no good in windy weather as it takes off. Far more comfortable to wear over a long period. Being a lip reader, I wish more people, especially shop/store staff would wear visors as makes life much easier for those of us who are deaf.

Visors are designed to protect eyes, not nose and mouth. The reason we are asked to wear masks is so that if we cough or sneeze, and are carrying the virus, the viral load we send out into the air is reduced. Visors are designed to protect the eyes, if you are coughed at and are more effective than glasses. That is why medical staff wear both visors and masks.

Ok folks Pugwash made clear he/ she has a physical impairment and therefore needs to wear a visor and also struggles to comprehend others wearing mask and so wishes others would also.

Jeez!

I am in no way saying folk shouldn't wear masks but taking pictures of people without consent and publishing them on a public forum is just not ok.

We have no way of knowing what someone else's situation is.

The lady in the pic could be pregnant and she dropped her mask while there is clearly nobody near her for a bit to ease her nausea. The guy could have a physical illness or impairment that is not visible. People also have mental health problems.

While I agree that people are certainly experiencing the Covid fatigue observed in other countries and becoming more complacent (entirely understandable and predictable), one thing is certain, the judgey finger pointers have been out in force since day one of the pandemic and remain strong in their piousness.

Hands up who hasn't even slightly broken a Covid rule?

Compassion and understanding anyone?

I suspect that it's easier to remain compassionate and understanding if you're not actually travelling by public transport each day.

A few months ago, I was very understanding if I saw someone without a mask on a train. Now, after months of using public transport (two buses, two trains each way) to get to work, I've got no sympathy left whatsoever.

The amount of people who get on the train, sit down opposite you, then take their masks off is astonishing.

I understand resentment, especially when we are all looking for reasons or people to blame for this pandemic continuing as we all want to understand why and be able to point the finger. There are a significant amount of people who dispute the effectiveness of mask wearing. That has always been the case and not just amongst Joe Bloggs, the discussion continues amongst scientists and government officials across the world. There is no consensus on any measure that has been imposed, no consistency across nations, no absolute truth. That means that people will naturally tire of restrictions and decide for themselves. I think that's entirely predictable and understandable behaviour.

Meanwhile we all break the rules in our own way. We might be rigid with mask wearing but sneakily bend other rules and interpret them in accordance with our own belief system and needs/ wants.

Cognitive dissonance is present for every one of us.

So if you wouldn't be ok with someone secretly photographing you doing your personally chosen rule break and publishing it on the internet.....

In the old days (and it shows you how old I am) there used to be a smoking compartment at the front and back of every tube - maybe there should be a mask-less carriage as well, with significant fines for those not wearing a mask (for any reason, including being 'excused masks') in any other carriage. If properly policed it could raise revenues to obviate the need for an extension of the congestion charge!

i do wear masks when weather is windy as I am fairly law binding. Just been given an audiology appointment which has been 8 months in coming to repair my hearing aid, which is strapped together with tape due to it being caught in the straps of a mask and falling off in the street. Kings College Hospital out sourced its audiology services to In Health several years ago which are based in Lancashire but have clinics all over the country. Chadwick Road MC is my usual clinic but they have not had any audiologists since March and nor had the next nearest clinic in Streatham. My ability to hear others and to have a working aid is more important. I will continue to wear visors with a fall back to masks in certain weathers.

My other half, when out with me, will always wear a visor so that we can communicate, when alone will wear a mask.

Personally I think the design of masks is pretty poor Pugwash. A lot of people have different shaped and size ears, and faces too. As far as I can see, the masks on sale are a one size fits all design and I wonder if this has an impact on the levels of compliance too. Btw, I don't think anyone here is judging you for using a visor over a mask. It is quite clear that you fall into the exemption category and that you still try to do something to mitigate is to be praised. In fact, I think a lot of people with genuine exemption are using visors instead.

cordsm Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I suspect that it's easier to remain compassionate

> and understanding if you're not actually

> travelling by public transport each day.

>

> A few months ago, I was very understanding if I

> saw someone without a mask on a train. Now, after

> months of using public transport (two buses, two

> trains each way) to get to work, I've got no

> sympathy left whatsoever.

>

> The amount of people who get on the train, sit

> down opposite you, then take their masks off is

> astonishing.

exactly this!

Blah Blah Wrote:

> Personally I think the design of masks is pretty

> poor Pugwash. A lot of people have different

> shaped and size ears, and faces too.

Agree in trumps......... I have large ears, nose which is fairly small (so easire to feel overwhelmed by mask). I picked up two disposable ones. Looked identical size. One was fine, other had less stretchy elastic and so felt it was pulling my ear off. And you cant try before you buy!!

I have now gone for a behind the ear one, made by my resident upcycling consultant! I have tied the elastic so if it gets more stretchy in time I can re-tie it.

PS - if people are interested I can post a photo of the mask. Based on a design by Really Maria. PM me

Where can people get free masks? I saw them available at London Bridge but, if we are to go by guidance, those are disposable masks that should be worn just once.

Masks are expensive. Disposable ones very expensive if worn once. I bought 4 hand made ones and it cost me ?26. That?s too much money for most people.

At a time when there is a huge push to provide free lunches during half term because families are struggling and food banks are being used more and more, it stands to reason that many people also don?t have spare cash for masks.

You can get a box of 50 disposable on Amazon for about ?8. Plenty of non disposable ones too.

Or make your own, like all those newspaper articles at the start of lockdown. I used large cotton hankies, which I had already, with a folded piece of kitchen roll inside, which makes 4 layers, and you can iron with a hot iron to kill germs.

NewWave Wrote:

> We buy the disposable ones from Amazon it works

> out way cheaper.

Sorry to be dim, but how can that work out cheaper than using two or three washable, reusable masks?

You are only supposed to use the disposable ones once, so over what timescale are you comparing the relative price?