workmen who won't wear a mask

JickieC

HI

My landlord keeps sending me a workman who won't wear a mask, wash his hands or socially distance and keeps insisting on cups of tea.

I need some work done but do i really have to put up with this?

He's says he's exempt but i don't believe him. I've asked to see the exemption and it's not forthcoming. But even with an exemption surely a workman who can't wear a mask isn't the right workman to be sent into people's homes at this time?

I would really appreciate some advice

Thank you!

JickieC Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> HI

> My landlord keeps sending me a workman who won't

> wear a mask, wash his hands or socially distance

> and keeps insisting on cups of tea.

> I need some work done but do i really have to put

> up with this?

> He's says he's exempt but i don't believe him.

> I've asked to see the exemption and it's not

> forthcoming. But even with an exemption surely a

> workman who can't wear a mask isn't the right

> workman to be sent into people's homes at this

> time?

> I would really appreciate some advice

> Thank you!

Silly question sorry, but have you spoken to your landlord?

Someone may be medically exempt from mask wearing, but not from bringing their own cup with them, or indeed their own thermos. And there are many repair etc jobs where mask wearing is an H&S requirement outwith any Covid issues. This person should not be being employed in this sort of role if they will not employ proper protection. Your landlord should be ensuring that workmen employed by them are working safely.

Thankyou everyone.

the landlord employs an agency (of which he is a co-founder so a conflict of interest i think) and the agency says i have to have this guy. He then says things like 'you're not one of them are you?' when i ask him to distance or when i put on my own mask and is generally quite passive aggressive - down to I should be making him tea. Unfortunately he's hard to avoid when he is here because he doesn't do his job and i am constantly having to say things like 'that's not finished/fixed' or 'then when will it be finished/fixed' and if i don't make him cups of tea you can see how that doesn't go well - and i just want the work finished. I don't think landlord really cares. As far as he is concerned he has sent someone in.

I feel really stuck.

You could try phoning the Citizens Advice Bureau (if they still exist?)

Or possibly there might be a relevant department in Southwark Council?

Or does the agency (or the landlord) belong to some professional body you could report them to (unlikely, from what you say)?

How much longer is this man likely to be working in your house?

Do we still have community police officers? Might one of those be able to advise? I really feel for you, the situation sounds appalling.

It's up to you how safe you want your environment to be. You don't have to debate that with your landlord or anyone else.

Your desires seem quite reasonable, given there's a WORLDWIDE pandemic underway and 100,000 dead in UK with many more injured permanently.

Why not say explicitly to the landlord what you want and ask him to oblige with that chap or find another chap.

If the allocated workman won't comply that should be the landlord's problem, not yours.

I agree with you KidKruger. Unfortunately my LL does not. He thinks i am being difficult and that he has done his bit and if i don't want to let that workman in and deal with him then that is my choice. and the work won't get done.

Anyway - thank you!

Shelter Legal England has this advice:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/coronavirus#title-4

'Restrictions, repairs and moving home

Can my landlord delay repairs?

Landlords have the same responsibilities for repairs during coronavirus but there may be delays in getting work done.

Government guidance says that unless you're self isolating the following can still take place in all areas:

any repairs including non urgent work

planned maintenance and inspections

Landlords and contractors must follow public health guidance about working safely in people's homes and social distancing.

Annual gas safety checks remain an important legal requirement. Gas Safe Register has more coronavirus guidance.

Can I refuse access if I'm worried?

Your landlord must give you notice of any visits. They shouldn't just turn up.

If you're self isolating, no one should come into your home unless it's to fix a serious problem that puts you at direct risk of harm.

Government guidance says that landlords should respect that some tenants will want to be cautious.

If you don't want people in your home, you could ask for any non urgent work to be postponed. For example, if:

minor repairs could wait

you're at higher risk from coronavirus

Find out more about access to your home and when you can refuse.'

You can contact Shelter for advice online/by phone: https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

You don't have to let anyone into your home, not even your landlord. That is the law. They have to go to court if they want to force entry. If it is an essential repair, then you have the right to negotiate terms. Contact renter rights as cited above. They will give you legal advice. Personally, I wouldn't let anyone in unless you are sure they are covid negative, mask or no mask. It is your home. It needs to be safe.

Absolutely nonsense I had guy come refused wear mask because hes hot!!@

I made complaint landlord

They now all wear mask stay out our way,my husband shielding.

The landlord said did speak staff disciplined them.

That none contractors exempt,

They only hire ones able comply covid restrictions.

You can phone agency ask workman who will comply giv build safety covid guidelines.

Mask is mandatory in someone's home exempt doesn't apply due to health safety gov legalisation.

I hope you have sorted the problem in the meantime.

Consider that rogue landlords (that today include also respectable people who think money and advice from solicitors allow them to get away with everything) may use behavioural tactics as a way to harass you. Namely, they will use third parties to upset you up to the point you will be pressurised to leave. I have had a chain of negative experiences and I see my current landlord - a property solicitor - dealing with these matters on a daily basis.

From what you are saying both this workman tea addicted (or is he an alcoholic?)and your landlord are bullying you so I would not hesitate to talk to both saying that what you are asking is simple respect for very basic rules and you want to see a chance immediately before asking for more help from the community if they do not behave.

Workmen in your house must concentrate on their work and leave you in peace, they should also wear a mask if you need to go around them and keep their distance at all times. Try to also have ventilation at all times.

Your landlord should be reminded that codes of conduct exist in this Country: associations of landlords, local authorities, the Considerate Construction scheme, you name it.

There is plenty of help for landlords who have difficulties in understanding the basics of how to deal with repairs and emergencies.