Third Covid jab

Nigello

Done and dusted at H Hill pharmacy, where a fair few people turned up after I had got there (when tehre were already a handful). Swift and easy, but not impressed by lack of chair at point 2, where they ask you to stand for a few minutes just before they are ready to jab you inside. (I asked the clinician to consider putting a chair there for the people who need to sit, even for a few minutes.) Also, the card they give you is smaller and does not include a name, whcih is likely because it is now all done digitally.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked my third jab at the Denmark Hill Vaccination Site, which is apparently in the Weston Education Centre.

This is shown on the KCH site map, but it's not at all clear how to get to it, as if you google it, it says it is located in Denmark Hill, but its address is shown as 10 Cutcombe Road! and there is no Cutcombe Road marked on the site map!

The centre seems to be nearer Coldharbour Lane than Denmark Hill!

Can anybody shed any light? Do you just keep going past the other hospital buildings (Jubilee Wing etc) and then turn right?

I'm assuming it will be well signposted, but not banking on it!

ETA: I've just done what I should have done before posting this, and looked it up on Google Maps, and yes it seems that is how you get there, DUH.

muffins78 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue - did your request come through as a third jab

> or booster? Mine was booster. I?ve been offered

> the Tessa Jowell or a place in Peckham. I?d

> rather go to Kings!!

I've now had two more invites!!!

One from Guys (where I had my first two jabs) and then one from my GP (who told me recently when I asked that the invite would not come from them but centrally from the NHS, hey ho).

So - the central one which came first led to a page which listed the local centres, but there was nothing in East Dulwich, it was either Denmark Hill Vaccination Centre ie Kings or a pharmacy in Herne Hill.

So I opted for the Denmark Hill one.

The GP one leads to a link where I could book in either at Tessa Jowell or the Lister.

I could cancel the first one, which I booked, and go for Tessa Jowell, but I'm just going to leave it at Kings.

They all said booster, not third jab, but surely they are the same thing?????

I'm just grateful to be getting it at all! I could have gone tomorrow (!!!!) but I sprained my back yesterday (pause for sympathy) so I'm going next week, hooray!

Thanks Sue, that?s really helpful. I?ll see if I get something from Kings. Double check the booster/third jab point - I know I?m meant to get a third jab as opposed to booster. In my simplistic approach to understanding it, the third jab is a full dose of vaccine as part of the primary vaccination. Originally everyone got two doses for their primary vaccination. There are groups of individuals who are immune compromised for example, and they need a third full jab as part of the primary vaccination - as the results achieved with two jabs were not as good (this is my language).

The booster is a different dosage and is literally a top up - for those who have completed their primary vaccination (and they will have had good protection at that point).

I don't think that is correct, muffins. I believe all people getting a third jab get the same amount. (I asked the man giving the jab, third time.) Please let us know how you came to find out what you wrote. (I trust those who administer the jabs but I am curious all the same.)

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't think that is correct, muffins. I believe

> all people getting a third jab get the same

> amount. (I asked the man giving the jab, third

> time.) Please let us know how you came to find out

> what you wrote. (I trust those who administer the

> jabs but I am curious all the same.)

I'm immune suppressed, and one of the invites said I was in a priority group (I can't remember the exact wording) but I'm pretty sure they all said booster.

At https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccination-programme/guidance-for-vaccination-centres/ you can find, amongs other NHS guidance papers, a couple on "Phase 3 booster vaccinations" and

"Vaccinating immunosuppressed individuals with a third primary dose", dated 15 and 2 September, and following JCVI advice. Primary dose I take to mean as for the initial primary course.

For ordinary Phase 3 the Pfizer is recommended, with AZ if eg an mRNA vaccine is contraindicated and the person has previously had an AZ primary one. It says they're also looking to introduce use of a half dose of the Moderna vaccine as an acceptable alternative to the Pfizer.

IanR - that?s it, half dose of Moderna, I got muddled. And for the third jab they say to get a particular vaccine, but for the booster - they are a bit more flexible (my high level interpretation of a few pages of q&a on the my conditions website).

Basically if you are immune suppressed, it may be a good idea to check the particular advice been given for that condition/medication.

Sorry if I caused confusion.

An excerpt from my study email: ? Importantly, the British Society of ?condition field name? is recommending that all immunosuppressed ?name of condition? patients should now receive a third dose of SARS-CoV2 vaccination?

And from my conditions website: It is not possible to know who will or will not have responded, so the JCVI is recommending that all people with certain conditions or taking certain medicines should receive the third dose. This is different from a ?booster? dose which may be needed as initial response to the vaccine reduces.

What vaccine will I receive?

If you are aged 18 and over it is likely that you will get the Pfizer or Moderna (full dose) vaccine. The AstraZeneca vaccine may be given to people who have previously had this vaccine if there is a supply issue with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine.

There?s tonnes more info? - but that?s just some excerpts

I've recently received a letter dated 17 September (thanks Royal Mail) which says "People over the age of 12 who were severely immuno-suppressed at or around the the time of their first or second dose should be offered a third dose of the vaccine to increase their chances of being protected against Covid-19 as part of their primary immunisation course ....... not everyone receiving this letter will be eligible for a third dose."

and

"Separately, the JCVI has published advice on the vaccine booster programme ...... it recommends that 'individuals who received vaccination in Phase 1 of the Covid-19 vaccination programme (priority groups 1 to 9) should be offered a third dose Covid-19 booster vaccine .

Yesterday I received a text inviting me to book an appointment for a booster jab. The text was headed ?GP Surgery? but signed by Improving Health Ltd. I?ve never heard of them and a Google search brought up their website https://www.ihlsouthwark.co.uk/

The website has a lot of words but, other than the statement?Improving Health Ltd is a collaboration of 18 GP practices in South Southwark? I am no wiser as to who they are, their role within the NHS and what they do in relation to patients? health. Can anyone elucidate?

Anyway, I?m booked into Tessa Jowell.

I received my call-up from Improving Health on the 6th month anniversary (to the day) of my second jab - so the process for those surgeries in this consortium appears to be working. As this is a voluntary consortium of private practices in Southwark (as GP Practices are) I imagine it's a way in which these practices can pool resource effectively to service their NHS contracts efficiently. There are almost certainly GDPR issues around this - I've certainly never given permission for my data to be shared with Improving Health although their data processing may be taken as an outsourced service of the individual practices, but be that as it may...

Can anyone whose has a third jab confirm whether their reactions to the jab were the same, worse or less than the first two jabs. I had AZ and the first jab gave flu like symptoms for half a day and just a slightly sore arm for the second. I'm expecting Pfizer for the third, although Moderna is a possibility.