Third Covid jab

Nigello

Is there anywhere offering the Moderna vaccine as booster? I'm havering anyway, between (1) a preference for diversity plus an inclination to wait a month for fuller, more reliable, Com-COV2 findings than the very small scale and duration preliminary report, and (2) the noises being made about the need to accelerate booster coverage now plus the likelihoood that the risk of infection might now be increasing.

Husband received a text message last week from GSTT to book a 3rd jab as opposed to a booster. He has recently had a long course of radiotherapy at Guys. He went this morning to the walk in at Guys and had Pfizer - he had Astra Zeneca for first 2. He was advised he should have a booster in 6 months.

Has anyone been able to use the NHS system to make a same-day appointment for a booster? The web-booking route at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/book-or-manage-a-booster-dose-of-the-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine/ doesn't seem to cater for it. Has anyone managed it using the 119 phone service?

I've just had my third Covid dose at Queens Pharmacy on Rosendale Road. I had a letter from Kings stating I was eligible as part of my primary course due to being immuno-compromised. This is in addition to a Booster.

119 and the NHS vaccination website do not cater for bookings of the 3rd Covid dose and my GP surgery were not helpful.

Was a bit of a pain as I had to ring the various vaccination centres to see who had the AZ vaccine as I am unable to the Pfizer vaccine.

I found this site quite helpful to locate vaccination centres (Southwark & Lambeth)and also call them ahead of a visit to gain clarity. They will advise if you need to make an appointment or not.

https://selondonccg.nhs.uk/what-we-do/covid-19/covid-19-vaccine/pop-up-clinics/

I tried actually making a same-day booster booking via 119 this morning, and this time was told clearly that the database they see is the one that we see online, ie not covering today. So I walked down to the Denmark Hill site with my letter and was accepted without trouble as a walk-in. About twelve minutes standing wait in an airy corridor — I think I might have hit the tail end of some pre-work attenders — and out in just over half an hour.

You can get an idea of typical booking density by going through the online booking procedure. Tomorrow, for example, currently shows no slots booked between 9 and 11 am. That's generally been so when I've previously checked the next day's list, even late in the evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update, given some news reports talk about less booster uptake than they?d like.

At the beginning of October I got called for a booster, so I went to Kings, armed with an email from a study I am and the template letter from my conditions website outlining the third jab requirement (signed off by the medical society?s consultants etc). Kings refused to give me the booster, as if I needed a third jab, it had to listed as so on the vaccination system they are using. Fair enough, without writing a realm of detail - and I duly contacted my nurse who said the letters were being prepared and would be out in the coming weeks. I know the NHS is busy etc., but I have still not received the letter and I?m having to stay inside again etc.

I was meant to go back for blood test after receiving the third jab, so the study has called a couple of times to rearrange- but apparently lots of people with different conditions are impacted - and I gathered at Kings, I wasn?t the first person they had to turn away.

Hopefully the letters will come soon. Btw this is not the normal NHS letter, I?ve had that and various text messages etc..