Grove Vale Library (E Dulwich Stn)

Are any other people shocked by the mismanagement of the new East Dulwich Library?

Officially called ?Grove Vale Library? (not Dulwich library at the top of the hill)

Let?s take the very simplest issue by way of example.

It seems to boil down to the rather strange new manager of the library that has seemed to arrive from nowhere. Probably got rid of somewhere else, although I?m guessing.

Selection of Daily Newspapers

(Reinstatement)

For literally 2 months since the library reopened after lockdown I have been asking this manager when the daily newspapers get resumed. For a period of THREE full weeks I was given the story, later turning out to be total made up rubbish, that ?newspapers & periodicals are not being reinstated until the final phase of roll out of post coronavirus resumption of library services?.

Took this liar & chancer at his word until somebody pointed out to me that Dulwich library up the road had been providing newspapers to its customers since THE START OF NOVEMBER.

So generously giving the library manager guy a chance (to be more than fair), I mentioned to him that Newspapers were being provided again as normal at Dulwich Library.

Instead of owning up to his mistake or maybe his confusion & polite apology, he then claimed to me that ?oh they must be reprovisioning them by mistake in contravention of library policy, so yeah Dulwich library are making a mistake?.

Made up silly story number 2 folks!

Hint: This will be a recurring theme, forum members

Days later (where still no newspapers were provided) he then casually mentions to me that ?oh actually somebody else did not send me an email to authorise getting daily newspapers again. It should have been done at start of November?.

Great! So simple problem solved? ?Nah-ah, people!!!

He then gives a grave expression ?we used to get it delivered to us but they stopped doing it so it?s a major problem?.

Ding dong!!! Silly story number 3

The grove vale library has for a long time simply purchased the papers each day. Not withstanding there are newsagents shops everywhere next door or metres away, THE EXACT NEWSPAPERS ARE ON SALE FROM 7AM EACH DAY 3 SECONDS AWAY INSIDE THE SAME EXACT BUILDING AS THE LIBRARY IN MARKS & SPENCERS.

After another two days of - you guessed it - no newspapers, I politely asked for an update from the manager about resumption of newspapers. This is due to the fact that admitted by him his Superior had even instructed him to provide this service.

He responded in aggressive, overly defensive & kind of unhinged fashion. This shocked me as I was very polite.

Apparently he needed ?far more than 2 days to sort out? such an evidently complicated problem of buying of a newspaper. For sale in the same building.

Wow.

As I write this as at Friday 3 December 2021 at 1245hrs, there are STILL NO NEWSPAPERS OR MAGAZINES being provided. That is an entire month after Southwark Council policy is to reinstate them.

Given the WiFi / computers don?t seem to work reliably either, this means VERY FREQUENTLY that the Southwark local library has no access to up to date news. This in the middle of a rapidly escalating pandemic situation with the OMNICRON variant.

This is despite 2/3 staff sitting around literally doing nothing for hours on end, the manager chatting with them about his favourite sci fi films, James Bond, his personal problems finding a flatmate & computer gaming. Oh and endless discussion about their tea break!!!

Why such urgent need for tea break when sat doing absolutely nothing for 3+ full hours scrolling your mobile phone?

Not much attention to missing newspapers with the whole newspaper shelf bold as brass totally empty. Day after day after day.

In the old building of Grove Vale library I remember a lady Rachel who ran the library like clockwork. She also was efficient, helpful, hard working, genuine & polite. The place ran like clockwork even in an old cramped creaking premises. Think she was the manager. Maybe someone else can correct me if I am wrong.

What a terrible shame she is no longer in charge.

This story teller guy new manager is called Lawrence. Have any other people had issues?

Maybe it?s just personal to me you never know.

Maybe it?s an ocd or autism issue with this simple task, in which case we need to be understanding, but the task needs to be given to someone else whilst he can get treatment or some time off to get well again.

Very frustrated by this still ongoing issue as a Southwark council tax payer.

Comments welcome!