Anyone completed loft conversion and willing to let us view??

missmack1981

Hi,

We live in a mid-terrace victorian house in Nunhead. (Similar to victorian houses on Ivydale road)

Definitely getting our loft conversion done, simultaneously with neighbour, and would LOVE to view as many configurations as possible. Is anyone willing to allow a quick viewing.. Or has recommendations for architects, builders etc?

Any help would be gratefully received. Payment in wine available!

Thanks

Hi there. We haven't had our loft converted but we saw quite a few conversions when we were house hunting a couple of years ago. By far the best was the one where the owners had put in a set of stairs above and parallel to the existing ones then built backwards over the back bathroom and bedroom, adding another bathroom and bedroom. These were both proper height and very decent sized rooms. All the others we saw were slight variations on spiral staircase up from the little landing near the front bedroom into the front roof space, and that means the only place it was possible to stand up was right in the middle. So OK for extra storage, kiddies or occasional stays, but not for day to day use by adults.

the best was the one where the owners had put in a set of stairs above and parallel to the existing ones then built backwards over the back bathroom and bedroom

You can do this only when there is sufficient height clearance to allow a 'legal' set of stairs - which must have sufficient headroom - we managed this by only centimetres. But it is possible to 'match' the new stairs with the old, most of the bannisters/ spindles used in 19th century and early 20thC builds are still available, which means that travelling up inside the house you cannot readily tell there is a loft extension at all. Using a builder who is experienced in houses locally means that they will know immediately what is possible (an architect we had originally consulted thought our only option was a staircase which would have lost us a room, effectively, in the process).

Building a loft to the back of the house (over what is often known as 'the extension') is often easier planning wise (no issues about changing the frontage of the house by adding front-facing dormers) - even with 'permitted development' your plans must meet local planning rules.

But much of this depends upon your roof height at the back - as raising roof ridge heights is normally not allowed. If they are high enough (ours were) perfectly decent rooms without sloping roofs can be built.

Edited to add - my house is not a mid-terrace, so probably not directly comparable regarding loft extension opportunities.

Thank you to all the replies with contacts and viewing offers.

We have already viewed two conversions and have two more lined up. What a great resource the ED forum is!!

Unfortunately we will have no choice but to lower the ceilings in the existing bedrooms and our loft clearance is barely 6ft. As we saw yesterday, this doesn't compromise the sense of space in the existing bedrooms at all.

It's been really interesting hearing/ seeing the variety of configurations.

I'd be interested to see what the local planning rules are as we back on to a 'Family Mosaic' monster conversion (top of Ivydale Rd), where they have added a HUGE extension to the back and joined together several houses.

Our property faces onto the shorter post-war houses so I'm hoping there wont be a problem with us having large velux windows at the front.

Our builder managed a proper set of stairs by chopping a bit off the original first floor front bedroom so that they had a longer run. The front bedroom lost only a foot or two and the stairs make all the difference in the feeling that the loft is an integrated part of the house, rather than tacked on. we also had our bathroom set under the eaves rather than cramped over the stairs, and it's big enough for a bath too. Under the eaves is a dead space so it made sense. We are behind Goose Green and you are welcome to have a look.

Hi missmack1981,

I run a small company, based in Peckham providing building design services... do quite a few loft extensions these days.

My job involves providing all the architectural drwgs, overseeing building control and structural design elements, planning and on site implementation/appointing builder and oversite. Basically all the stuff you need to get your loft completed. I work for my self so my rates are very competitive. Please have a look at my website if you want to see samples of my work or give me a call/email if you want to discuss. All the best and good luck with the build. Cheers,

mikail 07776283120

www.fixateddesign.co.uk

• 1 month later...

Jumping on the back of missmack's post, we're also looking to do a loft conversion and were hoping to be able to snoop round some locally (we're SE22) and get some recommendations for architects.

Can anyone help with suggestions? And/or be willing to allow us to traipse through their house.

Many thanks in advance,

Anna