The Rio 2016 thread

steveo

I don't think a competition exists where you have to stay up all night watching the Olympics and then do a job the following day, but if it did I'd probably make the podium.

Mind you I'm not vouching for the quality of the work. It's a good job I don't work with explosives

But the finishing line is a very long way off and I'm hallucinating already.

Any tips?

Any favourite bits?

I have some personal interest in the equine bits, which have been exceptional and moving. But as a generally sports adverse person, this games has actually captured my imagination more than 2012!

I have no wise words on the Stayey Uppy bit; but can recommend working from home as a great help...😉

Who thought up some of the more stupid cycling events? Some are excellent (elimination race, points race) but some of the rest are just silly. Riding really slowly before sprinting as fast as possible? Following a motorbike around for six laps?.

What next - participants must cycle backwards whilst juggling and mentally solving mathematical problems? Three laps of reading the third Harry Potter book whilst simultaneously singing "Bohemian Rhapsody", before a final sprint?

We have the Gymnastic Gold Medalists and Cycle Gold Medalists all excited .. elated... really filled with emotion...

Then we get Andy Murray.. who gets a Gold and droooness on and on and on.. aaaah yehhh .. I'm really..drone.. excited..

drone... sounding like he's on Tuinal or Barbs.. with no personality .. what a boing B******d that guy is..

Foxy..

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Who thought up some of the more stupid cycling

> events? Some are excellent (elimination race,

> points race) but some of the rest are just silly.

> Riding really slowly before sprinting as fast as

> possible? Following a motorbike around for six

> laps?.

Kicking a pig's bladder around a field trying to wallop it into a net? Hitting fluff-covered rubber to and fro with paddle shaped frames covered in catgut? Chucking a piece of leather at some bits of wood while another chap uses another bit of wood to try and stop you? All sports are absurd if you reduce them to their essentials - it's part of what makes them such fun and so life affirming, they're basically just silly buggers for the pure unnecessary hell of it!

I think the basic requirement for a sport to be in the Olympics is that an Olympic gold medal should be the pinnacle of the sport.

On that basis, tennis, golf, football should not be Olympic sports. And probably basketball, too.