Boiler in bedroom

mary123

Thanks for typo holloway..

Food for thought..at the team meeting it was discussed an Occupational Therapist got struck off for placing/recommending a patient to live in a micto environment with boiler in the sleeping environment , got me thinking about my boiler in my bedroom

I grew up with a boiler in my bedroom! These days, landlords have to have the boiler serviced every year (that is the law), so the real danger is not actually private landlords, but those of us that own our own homes and only get an engineer in when the thing breaks down. Personally, we get ours serviced every year too - better safe than sorry - although the boiler is in the kitchen, not a bedroom. And servicing isn't just the boiler, but all the gas applainces and the meter too.

apart from the noise factor e.g. mine goes on at 5.30 am for hot water, or both in the winter, and as long as the safety precautions are in place- which as it's housing association they will be bang up to date and serviced every year,...there should not be a problem.

The problem with boilers in the bedroom is not just carbon monoxide..

Bedrooms tend to be upstairs away from your outside drain.

.. it is the dainage.. Modern combi-boilers have a Condensate Trap. When full it purge through Condenate Drainage Pipe

to an outside drain.

There are STRICK regulations about how the CONDENSATE DRAINAGE PIPE is fitted and routed.

It needs to be the shortest outside route to your drain. It CANNOT be discharged onto or into the ground.

During winter care is needed to ensure the pipe does not freeze. This would Seriously damage your boiler.

The pressure build up could cause it to explode.

DulwichFox

People living in first, second, third etc floor flats manage to have boilers fitted. The condensate drainage pipe is generally run diagonally on the outside wall into a sink or bath downpipe and covered with a foam plastic sleeve.

The problem with the condensate pipe freezing is down to an inadequate pipe size being used. When they first came out 22mm overflow pipe was used. This froze as the bore is too small. 32mm waste pipe is now to be used and it must discharge into a drain, either internal or external. Horizontal runs of the pipe are not allowed as this encourages the condensate liquid to lay in the pipe and thus be liable to freezing as well.

As for boilers exploding due to this. Never. It won't happen. Too many safety systems on the boiler.