Fix or replace oven

Trevorscott

Hi, New to the forum and first time starting a tread.

We recently had an electrician out to one of our rental properties and the oven is causing the RCD to trip when it has been running for a while and you change the setting from fan to grill. The electrician reckons we should just replace the oven as it's about 7/8 years old and not in guarantee anymore, does anyone think it's worth getting an appliance engineer out to try and fix it? Or should we just replace it?

Kind regards

Trevor

Trevorscott Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi, New to the forum and first time starting a

> tread.

> We recently had an electrician out to one of our

> rental properties and the oven is causing the RCD

> to trip when it has been running for a while and

> you change the setting from fan to grill. The

> electrician reckons we should just replace the

> oven as it's about 7/8 years old and not in

> guarantee anymore, does anyone think it's worth

> getting an appliance engineer out to try and fix

> it? Or should we just replace it?

> Kind regards

> Trevor

Sounds like insulation on one of the wires supplying the element has deteriorated and is leaking to earth. Make sure you switch off the power supply to oven at the fuse box. Take the inner oven panels off to check the element and its wires. If the element has "blisters" on it it may be on its way out and causing the problem.

If it was me I would just take the chance and buy a new replacement element first off. Replacing this might just fix the problem at a fraction of the cost of a new oven.

Hmm. How long is a piece of string. I'd expect a basic cooker to last 20 years (I think our last one was about 35!).

If things last for under 5 years then I get all stroppy. You are in between the two but I go with Trev above and give it a go.

There is loads of good advice on the net and sure that someone will advise a good indie repair person. I spose about ?50 for the labour and ?20 for the part?

Got our Bosch dishwasher repaired under free second year warranty - so fortunately did not have to have a battle with the retailer about fit for purpose. It was in deed two parts that failed prematurely - and fixed in about 20 mins. TF I didn't have to pay Bosch prices for the call out.

Let us know how you get on. May be DIYable but not for me to advise if not in your comfort zone.