Joining lofts together

Lula

Has anyone experienced joining a new loft (which will hopefully have a metal/glass dormer) to an existing loft that has the traditional roof tile dormer?

Just interested in how the builders join them together, ie what materials? Process? Is it easy?

alex_b Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I thought the point with dormers is that they were

> within the party walls and so shouldn't there be a

> brick's width between the two dormers?

I think they're often joined together - certainly the ones on our road (and the road behind) are joined. Well, at least they appear to be joined... whether the builders actually bolted them together, or just butted them up to each other, I couldn't say for sure!

As for building one out of metal and glass... sounds interesting, but presumably you'll need full planning permission for this (permitted development only applies if using materials aesthetically similar to the existing construction). And it might get very hot in the summer, you'd probably need air conditioning in there.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> alex_b Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I thought the point with dormers is that they

> were

> > within the party walls and so shouldn't there be

> a

> > brick's width between the two dormers?

>

> I think they're often joined together - certainly

> the ones on our road (and the road behind) are

> joined. Well, at least they appear to be joined...

> whether the builders actually bolted them

> together, or just butted them up to each other, I

> couldn't say for sure!

>

> As for building one out of metal and glass...

> sounds interesting, but presumably you'll need

> full planning permission for this (permitted

> development only applies if using materials

> aesthetically similar to the existing

> construction). And it might get very hot in the

> summer, you'd probably need air conditioning in

> there.

Hi, yes, we've applied for planning. It's north facing so should be fine. We are having a surveyor in to assess the pre-work condition of ours and our neighbour's but just wondered if anyone had had this done already and had knowledge of what it looks like. Will obviously speak to builder about the details as he will be one who does it.