FYI - yet another telephone scam......

caz

A new one for me. Very seriously toned recorded voice saying my internet was about to be permantly disconnected as fraudulent use had been detected in multiple countries. I ended the call at that point but pretty sure it was about to instruct me to give bank details etc.

caz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A new one for me. Very seriously toned recorded

> voice saying my internet was about to be permantly

> disconnected as fraudulent use had been detected

> in multiple countries. I ended the call at that

> point but pretty sure it was about to instruct me

> to give bank details etc.

Yes. its becoming a regular occurance. It suggests that you IP Address has been compromised and you need

to press '1' to speek to an engineer to have a new one allocated.

Your IP Address is not Static and changes constantly. Its a scam although I do not know what the scam is

as I have never pressed '1' to find out.

DulwichFox

A quick delve

Please be very careful as criminals have been trying to trick customers into giving out their bank details.

They might try to convince you that you owe money on your bill and threaten to disconnect your phone line immediately if you don't pay them over the phone. BT will never disconnect a phone line during the call

They might say that you have a fault or virus on your computer and then try to scare you by suggesting that your computer will stop working if you don't take action. They then try to persuade or coerce you into installing software, or ask you to perform commands on your computer with the intention of gaining remote access to your device

Source

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48253/~/security-warning---fraud-activities-or-scams

DulwichFox

I had a funny one yesterday at work.

"This is BT ,and we have detected unauthorised access and use of your internet connection by strangers from abroad, can you confirm your details?"

"Well, at the moment you are strangers from abroad, so where do we go from here?"

They put the phone down.

I have used several techniques to get rid of cold callers.

1. I need to inform you that all calls to this number are recorded for security reasons.

2. I need to inform you that all calls to this number are charged at ?3.00 per minute..

3. Motor car Accident ?? No I don't drive.

4. Windows ? No, I don't use Windows, I use Linux.

They work every time.

DulwichFox