Planning on going on one of those group trekking holidays, would like to hear your experiences..

dulwichflower76

Hi

I'm planning on going on a group trekking holiday (Explore, Intrepid etc...) never done anything like this before, but fancy doing some different and out of my comfort zone. I am a bit nervous about it but also excited!

Hoping to go within next couple of months-that way I wont have time to change my mind. It would be great to hear other peoples experiences on these types of holidays.

Cheers

dulwichflower :)

I've been with Explore three times and Journey Latin America once on trips - not just trekking. In my experience, they're well organised and offer the advantage of being able to go to some great places without having to do much planning for yourself. And good value. The size of group has varied between 5 and 14 with a reasonable mix between couples/singles. Maybe I've been lucky but I haven't encountered any problems with the group dynamics and met some amazing people along the way. Much of that is down to the individual, what they want and their expectations (not least of what they expect and want from the tour leaders - some people can be quite needy in that respect). I've always found that even though you're with the same group of strangers for a couple of weeks or so, you can find your own space if you want to. As for the tour leaders, three out of four were excellent - the third was a local tour leader in Thailand who enjoyed Mekong whiskey a tad too much.

Edited to say that I think average age with Explore may have got older since I first used them.

Haven't been trekking but went on a group overland tour across Africa a couple of years ago when I had a month off between jobs. Although was quite nervous about going on my own- most people in the group were also travelling alone and everyone was very social. I'd choose your company quite carefully - I went with a company called 'On the Go' and whilst I had a good time - I think it would have been better if I had done a bit more research and probably spent a little bit more. There were too many people in my group including a lot of crazy 24 hour drinking backpackers- ours was the safari truck with a St George's cross hanging in the window!

Having said that I think companies like Explore and Exodus are aimed at a slightly more sophisticated market. I've friends who've trekked with them who've had a great time. Sorry can't offer you more detailed advice on where to go etc but just wanted to say go for it!

Also with Explore, they can amend your flights so that you arrive/depart before the tour start date to give yourself a bit of time away from the group - sometimes at no additional charge on the flights. Or book land only and arrange own flights.

Start with the basics, the boots.

Go to Decathlon or an equivalent store and buy a great pair of boots, mine were a ?100 five years ago.

Wear them every day full time morning till night for two weeks non-stop before getting to the plane.

That is the only way you know you have broken them in and not your feet, also your legs get used to coping with heavy footwear.

Get a compass, carry it around your neck as if it's the key of your door and do not leave it back at the camp.

I remember when I was walking with a dozen guys when we got lost over the moors and night time was fast approaching and everyone had a compass back at the camp, it was my first time and my father had given me some cash to 'get one and always keep it with you' I was the only one with a compass on that trip, it saved us from a very precarious night on snow covered fells.

If you are buying a rucksack take some heavy stuff to put in it to see how they feel when loaded, spend all morning trying every possible combination to make sure it fits your back and carries the weight well, the rucksack which makes the pack feel the lightest is the one which fits. You may have to go to several shops to find the best one for you so take it as seriously as your boots and do not be fobbed off with 'its all we've got' go somewhere else. If you know any ranger scouts they are expert at this stuff take one with you if you can.

A small bright torch is a must and some variously sized plasters can be useful too. A lady friend always took a ball of string which she made a washing line of and hung her clothes out each night, as she was petite she carried the minimum clobber to save hauling the extra weight, and washed what little she did take regularly.

A bar of your favourite smelling exotic soap, after a hard day a good wash can put some life back in and the fragrance takes you back to a softer more decadent civilization, which is great after a days grind through the bush.

If you are going somewhere hot take a big hat to keep the rays from burning you up. When I went through the northern part of the sahara the most useful piece of clothing was a poncho, which could be used as a blanket at night, and during the day when folded it became a padded seat between me and the most uncomfortable camel for six hours.

Take a long lightweight scarf, which can be wrapped around to cover your head and face this is useful in some religious regions and it also helps to keep the flies and mosquitos off. Do not have bare legs they are just not used to it in many areas. If you have to have cholera jabs etc take them on a friday night because when I had my jabs for the far east I was in a sweating, aching all over fever, for two days and nights and I was still a bit wobbly at work on the monday. I remember having to take some tablets for a month or two after arriving back here.

Going to souks and medinas (markets) was fascinating, but my experience was somewhat different to a blonde lady I travelled with, who was groped when right in front of me, it was packed with people so I never saw it happen, just travel in groups and stay close together.

Food and drink is vital, do not have ice cubes as they are made from water from who knows where, and drink seven up or coke or a green coconut if it is opened in front of you, do not have one which is already opened they are a risk and warm, an opened one specially for you is cool and uncontaminated. Eat only hot cooked food and you should be safe, but cannot vouch for the quality and taste. Fruit which you peel is okay too and you can get a basket of exotic fruit really cheap.

Bartering is an art to do well, and you have to barter for everything, even a box of matches they wanted a fiver for unless you barter, it was fun to start with but becomes a chore when you are tired hungry sore and pissed off with the world. If there is an item you like and want and intend to bring back with you as a memento of the hols, pick it up stare at it intently, turn to the seller and praise it highly and then put it down, he will make you an offer and you will look away politely and shake your head but do not speak and he will come down in price you may have to do this several times until you feel you have got the price you intend to pay. This all takes time and I remember when I last visited Tunisia I had seen a bag made of goat skin with long hairs hanging from it and I thought it would look kind of interesting when shopping rather than a plastic bag, it took around 20 minutes to get it for a pound fifty from 28 quid. The way the west works is you do business and then you play, in the arab countries they play first by inviting you in to their shop and giving you a sweet tea before they start any business dealings, just a small thing but it makes more sense to it all when you understand the workings.

Have fun!

I have been on 10 Explore holidays and just love them! Going to Patagonia with them at Christmas - not all trekking but a couple of long day walks which will be new to me. One thing is for sure you will make lots of new friends on these holidays and get fit at the same time - whats not to like!

Two friends have recently returned from Patagonia, she was one her back in a bed for more than half her holiday as she had picked up some bug, so LadyG take great care when you eat and drink.

Another couple went to the same place in the 70s they took there own lightweight aluminum teapot hanging outside the rucksack so they could make their own brew, they had no problems.

Have been with Explore and others several times (although not trekking) and had great fun. I guess I have been lucky with no stomach upsets and would recommend starting the day with an egg and finishing with a neat spirit!

Have fun whatever you do.