Oh...very good

????

Hmph. All very witty.

I don't think you can be a sanctimonious hypocrite, because you have to be hypocritical to be sanctimonious. It's tautology.

Besides which, just to nip it in the bud before this joke becomes accepted wisdom, bigot has never been defined as sanctimonious hypocrite.

It's always been associated with small mindedness, racial discrimination and obstinacy. Apparently it started as a slang word to criticise the Frogs, or the Normans, or something.

Quite clearly Gillian Duffy demonstrated all of those traits, although there's a question of degree. There are undoubtedly a large number of people in the country (and in my own family) who are prejudiced but essentially nice. It's not practical to take them on, instead you follow them around apologising and try and mitigate for the destruction that lies in their wake.

It's quite funny that Gordy most offended Duffy because she couldn't understand how an 'educated' man could call her a bigot. It was, of course, his education that allowed him to recognise a bigot when he saw one, even if she was a nice harmless bigot.

Indeed. The most bigotry I hear nowadays, given that I largely hang with liberal metropolitans, is about the white working class and people of 'middle england'....education's nowt to do with it...people just tend to be bigoted and generalise and stereotype about people they don't 'know', although of course for liberals, this bigotry isn't allowed about certain groups so they just stick with the ones they can be bigoted about. Personally, I'm very bigoted about the liberal Guardinstas......