how about this folks???

charliecharlie

I have changed gas supplier to Ecotricity who match British Gas prices, as they have started importing green gas from Holland from a Food Waste mill... with the forward plan of investing in Food Waste mills for the UK. I have had electricity provided by them for some years as they invest in green energy development, and the service has been without any problem.. plus quick to get through on the phone for questions etc.

I can't see a down side!!! still get ya electricity, still get your gas and....

http://www.sheepdrove.com/siteManager/sites/sheepdrove/userFiles/Image/diagrams/saved33CO2-ecotricity.jpg

http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Am I missing something here? Isn't burning gas,

> where ever it comes from, still pushing CO2 into

> the atmosphere?

No Loz, you aren't missing anything at all.

A lot of these "eco" friendly companies neglect to tell people just how much COAL they are actually burning (in the UK - its still a high figure but its a well-kept secret so sssshhhhhhh) in order to keep the lights on etc ...

Loz Wrote:

> Isn't burning gas, where ever it comes from,

> still pushing CO2 into the atmosphere?

When the fuel is made from atmospheric carbon (e.g. a bio-fuel) then burning it produces no net increase in CO2 levels. The process simply recycles atmospheric carbon - and is referred to as sustainable or green.

But like Hal says. When the gas or oil breaks down, it would naturally release it's carbon into the atmosphere anyway, so using it as a fuel source is not releasing any extra carbon.

Plus when the plants are growing in order to produce the gas or oil, they absorb carbon from the atmosphere so the whole process works out being carbon neutral, i.e. what is absorbed is the same as that released when burned. Same with wood.

Coal and non-green gas are souces of carbon that have been captured millions of years ago and will be released now with no absorption happening to compensate, as the absorbtion already happened when they were living, millions of years ago.

charliecharlie Wrote:

> North Sea gas for example is a 'non renewable

> resource', gas made from food waste is a

> 'renewable resource'... still good to use as

> little as possible to keep your carbon foot print

> down, but it like chip fat versus petrol for your

> car... one is the better of the two evils!

CC you hit the nail on the head with 'use as little as possible'. I think a lot of work has to done on energy efficiency and consumer behaviour/understanding.

I'm lucky (?!) in that I don't have or need a car anymore* but appreciate this is not practicable for a lot of people.

* although I could easily choose to have one as an expensive luxury, then I would be driving to the beautiful Dorsetshire coast every weekend :)

UTILITY companies. Encourage customers to go to 'paperless billing' and online account management to help the environment. It has the added benefit of renering them helpless when you overcharge them as they have no bills to check through and your computer can mysteriously 'freeze their on-line account'. It makes it almost impossible for them to prove you are a bunch of robbing baastards.

The main thing with energy is that we need to use less of it.

First, because we're rapidly using up the resources we have. Peak everything.

Second, because energy use is contributing environmental degradation, climate change etc. (each to a different degree)

Third, because the price is only ever going to go up!

If you're interested in how you can use less energy at home, or even in whether generating some energy might be worthwhile, why not come along to this evening's Dulwich Going Greener meeting upstairs at the Crown & Greyhound (8pm), where we have an expert speaker discussing these issues, with plenty of opportunities for questions and chat.

See this thread for full details:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?6,545368