best tactic for deploying central heating

intexasatthe moment

ok - scenario is 2 up ,2 down terraced house .

Staircase ,with open bannisters running up from rear of back living room - so that a lot of heat escapes upstairs .

Elderly occupant ,very limited mobility using downstairs two rooms as bedsit type set up .

Just wanted to ask - best to keep radiators on upstairs and heat whole dwelling ,though upstairs not used or just keep on downstairs ?

Keeping warm is the priority ,not saving costs .

Any advice ?

Hi Intexasatthe Moment,

There are a lot of things you can do to reduce heat loss. Draught excluders, loft insulation, correctly sized curtains (so that they don't cover the radiators), correctly positioned radiators, correctly SIZED radiators and keeping room doors closed will all affect how well the heat is maintained within a room. There are a few factors to take into account in your scenario.

We all know from science lessons that heat rises, so my opinion would be to keep all the radiators on downstairs since it sounds like that is the only part of the house that is used and heat will rise up to the first floor anyway.

If you would like a bit more information or to arrange a visit of the property please feel free to get in touch on the following:

M: 07523 289248

E: [email protected]

W: www.facebook.com/plumbingwerx

Regards,

Ivo @ Plumbingwerx

Hi Huguenot,

Anything is possible, but it may not be very aesthetically pleasing and isn't guaranteed to work as well as you would like. The effort (and money) used to buy some curtain rails, drill holes into the walls, hang the rails, buy some curtains and hang them too far outweighs simply insulating your home a lot more efficiently.

If money is no issue, as Intexasatthe Moment mentioned earlier, then the best option would be to keep the heating on at a reasonable temperature the whole time. And buy some more duvets/blankets to cover up with, too.

Regards,

Ivo @ Plumbingwerx

It may be most cost effective to have the curtain at the top of the stairs.

Heavy lined curtains are quite cheap at charity shops provided you care little about fashion.

A sausage at the bottom of doors helps to reduce draughts.

A plastic laminate kit from a diy shop in front of the window will help.

The cheapest solution is a woolly hat and a pair of fingerless gloves with an extra fleece.

Intex, is the property your own (as opposed to being rented, e.g.)? Because, if you (or your elderly occupant) are the owner-occupiers, you may be eligible for free cavity wall/loft insulation on the grounds that (your mother?) is elderly/disabled.

The insulation will make an enormous difference to the amount of heat retained by the property (as well as reduce fuel costs). We had cavity wall insulation installed last winter, and, although we were not entitled to have it done for free, it was worth every penny - it has already paid for itself I think.

Provided one of you are the owner-occupiers, you have lived there for an X amount of years, and the property is suitable for cavity/loft insulation, then it sounds to me as though your household might qualify for free. Even if you do not, I think you should consider it anyway - you will soon recoup any costs. Feel free to PM me should you require specific details - whereupon I will dig out my papers on this.

Good luck.

Thanks for all advice guys .

Sadly don't think cavity wall insulation is an option - it's an old single brick wall building - but I do think there's scope for draughtproofing .

Shower/WC is downstairs in back extension ,though have to keep door open to facilitate access with frame .

( thinks - this having to keep doors open business must be such a common problem for people using walking aids )

Will think on about curtains ( especially charity shop ones ! )

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for all advice guys .

> Sadly don't think cavity wall insulation is an

> option - it's an old single brick wall building

I'd still get them around to do a suitability assessment (it's free) - you never know. Also, assuming you have a loft and already have some form of insulation, you could just go for loft insulation top-up (would most likely be free for you). Most people make do with a few inches of insulation material when, in fact, they could do with around 10/11 inches. It makes a massive difference - honest.

If you do end up boxing in the staircase (with door), do line the partition with something like Kingspan, which is specifically design to insulate walls. It comes in big sheets and is easy enough to cut. This would be a lot more effective than curtains, heat-loss wise, but would probably cost around 200-250 quid or so DIY-ing it.