Cycling for fun..?

philip walker

Morning!

I've been cycling about 16 miles a day round trip to commute to work. To begin with, i felt like I had been kicked up the rear by a donkey, but more and more finding I am actually enjoy it, find it strangely empowering knowing I am going to work under my own steam and not having to rely on trains! Also I've lost a touch over a stone which is a bonus!

THinking I may begin cycling for fun but not sure where to start really. There is a sponsored trip next spring, London to Paris over 5 days which I really like the look of, but would like to find something locally first. Is there anything about? I will do a keyword search also as no doubt there are lots of other cycling threads!

Ta.. PW

Cycling is surprisingly fun - but I'm not so sure I would have done it in London.

I tend to steer clear of the majority of exercise, but when I got myself a bike for Christmas I found myself doing a nice and easy 60 kms on a weekend without putting myself in trouble.

London to Paris sounds like a perfect distance - so don't let it put anyone off!

It is fun cycling to work - generally there's at least one point in every commute where I find myself smiling with a bit of a 'wheeee' momemnt. And yes, it does make you want to cycle more; my work are considering a trip to the Pyrenees in 2013 with 2012 to train for it which alarmingly, I'm thinking sounds quite fun.

There are a couple of threads in 'What's On' that you might want to take a look at.

McCabe has a couple of groups that go out on a Sunday morning (short and a long route). The 'long' group are slightly faster than the 'short' group but not overly so since it's a mix of mountain, hybrid and road bikes. Next one is probably in 2 weeks time since next week, we are going to attempt a trip to Brighton.

If you decide you want to really get into cycling, then take a look at the Dulwich Paragons. While they do do races and time trials, they also have more leisurely ones for those who just enjoy it. You do probably need to be riding a road bike though rather than a hybrid unless you're uber fast on a hybrid.

Another alternative is to join one of the many cycling forums since they quite often arrange rides (or drinks) for groups of people. LFGSS always seem to have lots of rides organised (and you can take geared bikes to them).

I cycle to work too and trust me, I won't ever go back to getting that sweaty smelly train unless I break boh legs.. I urge more of you to get out there and try it. I cycle to St Paul's in about 30 mins (and no I am not an archbishop or whatever they are called).. Much quicker than public transport.

The only fiddly bit is having to fold my clothes in a way that doesn't look as though I have slept in them for three weeks.. It gets easier or perhaps I care less..?I am fortunate we have decent showers at work, not sure I would be so brave, or popular, if I had to go without..

Cool! From what I've heard that can be a lovely run - just depends how many hours/days they are giving you to do it. Not too many hills and some lovely bits of countryside to roll through. Is it one of the ones where all you carry is yourself and the bike - with a little van to lug your stuff for you or is it more of a touring one where you have your own belongings on you?

Are you up for our little jaunt to Brighton tomorrow?