private landlord pls help

beeandson

does anyone have a digital copy of a standard but good AST or can provide link to download one

I only have paper ones but has to send new via email tonight :-$ I am the LL.

Need a new one as I served s21 to terminate and renegotiate rent, to which we have agreed.

Also I need advice on whether I can state I provide white goods "as courtesy" but not responsible for maintenance in the new lease. Someone suggested it but not sure it is kosher

btw new goods have just been replaced and there is no any repair whatsoever to be carried out.

many thanx

I think that if you provide something like a gas cooker you are responsible for it's maintenance under the 1985 Housing Act as it forms part of the requirement to ensure the utilty supplies are safe. Gas appliances/ boilers etc have to be checked every year and a gas safety certificate acquired if you are a Landlord, that is the law. Either you rent as furnished or unfurnished but if it's part of the tenancy agreement that you provide those things then you are responsible for reasonble maintenace I think.

you are legally responsible for maintaining any gas appliances in the property (even if the tenants agree to do it). But you can do what you like with white goods (fridge, freezer, washer/dryer) - it's normal that if you supply it, you maintain it, but if the tenants agree to it simply add a clause at the end of the AST. The only thing I'd say to consider before doing this is what would happen if the items were beyond repair, if the tenant replaces them out of their own pocket it's theirs to take with them when they leave

They are a quid or so from Oyez the stationers but that isn't much help to you if you need it tonight. I used OCR (age old thing, optical character recognition) to put a Liverpool uni one into word. Possibly when my hard disc went I lost this, but can scan one in if you are really desparate from hard copy. You can add additional terms by hand.

You may me lucky and find one on line. I was surprised how much help there is on landlord forums. Do pm me any time and I can point you in the right direction. ASTs are pretty straightforward, but I made such a mess of my S21 and S8 notices, but did represent myself in court. With the landlord forums you should never need to go to a lawyer.

And as for you Guardian reading liberals (and I am one of them) there are bad tenants and bad landlords. But most of them are good and at the end of the day there tends to be much trust and good will.

And as for East Enders - wot a load of blocxs when they think they can just evict tenants without going through any proper process. Happy of course to advise tenants as well!

beeandson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Also I need advice on whether I can state I

> provide white goods "as courtesy" but not

> responsible for maintenance in the new lease.

I would really avoid doing this - if I was thinking of renting a flat and this was in the contract, I would assume that it was a lazy landlord trying to shirk his responsibilities. IMO one of the advantages of renting is that somebody else is responsible for sorting out problems.

I can see why you would want the tenant to be responsible for maintenance of white goods - it gives them an incentive to be careful in how they use the equipment but don't forget the potential problems if they simply don't. I'd check your insurance company is happy; if your tenant fails to maintain equipment such that damage occurs to a third party (ie a washing machine leak is ignored and a flood takes down the ceiling in the flat below) will you have problems?