How to approach schools with leaflets

Cityjules

I have just spent the morning trying to drop leaflets to the primary schools of East Dulwich for a charity event, and what a hard task it proved to be.

Since when did so many schools start running like prisons? I know they need to keep the children safe, but it was like trying to get into Fort Knox!

Some schools were helpful and took the leaflets, but others were so unfriendly, and only take events organised by Southwark Council. What a shame that those children might now miss out on a lovely community event.

1. safeguarding children is paramount

2. parents don't like being bombarded with marketing messages from sales people / worthy causes

3. using the word 'charity' does not make you above reproach and the information would have to be investigated by any conscientious school down to charity registration and no impropriety with the funds.

4. parents don't like being bombarded with marketing messages

Ah, now that you know schools like to have a coucil approval, could you get Southwark involved? This might up your chances of getting more school to join in the event. Also, might be better to post info or call to see which schools would be receptive and which not. Schools get asked to do a lot of charity events, so they have to be selective. I'm sure if your event really stands out, then you can get some interest. Have an open mind, but a thick skin!

Good point Saffron. Will definitely bear in mind for future advertising.

I had actually rung up most schools beforehand, it was the ones I happened to pass that were tricky.

Perhaps it was looking like a drowned rat from the rain that didn't help my cause!