Has anyone bought a Leapfrog LeapPad 2 for their kids?

Otta

My mum has gopt one for my daughter (at my request), and it looks good. However, I am now slightly concerned that it's going to come with nothing much on it, and cost me an absolute fortune in games & apps.

Anyone got any experience of leapfrog products?

We got a Innotab last year and although there are cartridges that you can buy, there is also apps online. We've bought a few but not so many. But then it hasn't been used as much as we thought it would. If you are the kind of folk who are getting lots of apps / games etc for other devices (phones, ipads etc) then its possible that the approach will rub off on your daughter and she'll want the same for her computer. It may depend on age too. My elder daughter would probably go through more whereas the younger one is happier with less.

We bought a LeapPad2 for our almost 3 year old and he loves it. I haven't yet purchased any other apps but there's plenty on there to keep him amused and there are different levels for different ages. I was getting really over having him wanting to use my phone all the time - it's perfect for long journeys in the car. Would definitely recommend it.

Yep - both our three year old and 5.5 year old have leap pads and love them. We have bought a few apps for them, but they also come with loads on and have loads of useful features, We went on the ferry yesterday and our three year old took photos with her 'pad' the whole way.

And we sat through Dark Knight Rises with the girls in the room last night, both watching their own games/movies on the pads with their headphones on - so not traumatised by Batman's scary enemies.

A great buy IMO.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Just to resurrect this - I have to be missing something with this leap pad business. On the strength of these recommendations we got one for our ipad loving youngest son - but where are the games already on it? And he's not really into the stylus thing? And no rechargable batteries - they seem to last 5 minutes. Argh!!