Charter Catchment

I don't think they have a catchment area. If you go on their website they have to fulfil 3 criteria (like most schools) and then the 4th criteria is for kids within the safest walking distance.

Saying that, I've had three at The Charter and some of their friends have lived further past The Carnegie Library but not as far as Loughborough Junction. Then again, I see lots of the pupils waiting for the P4 bus, which goes towards and past the junction to Brixton and often think they could walk it in half the time so I might be wrong.

Hi I went to charter and lived near herne hill train station and had no problems getting in. Although this was quite a while ago I knew of a boy who lived in loughborough junction and know of kids that live further so no loss in trying

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I should have clarified I know there's no catchment - hence the question about how far is "safe".

I understand from some research that the catchment has shrunk in the last few years, and that the rules governing safe walking routes has changed this year specifically, reducing the catchment size further.

This process is very opaque, it's rather frustrating. We rent within catchment, but can't afford to buy on the road we live on! Hey ho.

I'm very sorry, I don't know the exact distances involved, but you are right in thinking that the "catchment" for The Charter School has changed recently. Children who were previously excluded from the Dog Kennel Hill area are now included. There was a long thread on here about it last year and I am sure a quick search will bring it to light. It was started by James Barber. For anecdotal purposes I can tell you that my child was number 90 on the Charter waiting list a couple of weeks after the September term started (and, therefore, after the traditional shake down, can't imagine where it would have been at the end of the summer holidays) whereas less than 5 years ago very near neighbours of mine got a place for their children. Do pm me if you want to know my address. It is at the other end of the catchment to Loughborough Junction but it might just help you to ascertain the 2012 radius if you can be bothered to work out the distances.

the_duke_of_hazzard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks. Do you know of anyone that _didn't_ get in

> further than Carnegie Library?

>

> The line seems to be very tight...

No but my friend just beyond Carnegie were on the waiting list for a little while (but got a place quickly). This was for the sept 2012 entry. Anecdoally I heard that the catchemnt was about 800 meters.

• 4 weeks later...

the_duke_of_hazzard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for that. 800 metres is very tight!

>

> If that's the case, I'm surprised, since the

> disputed path beyond which the complaints were

> made about non-entry in previous years was about

> 800 metres away...

But lots of housing so lots of potential applicants at the end of it.

I was alarmed by the distance mentioned above so contacted the school. Please see below the figures from the Charter admissions team for furthest offer made based on the distance criteria only (safest walking):

Sep 2011 intake - 1,848 Metres

Sep 2012 intake - 1.490 Metres

Sep 2013 intake to date we are at 1.710 Metres