Climbing walls

Helloo--might anyone know where there is a local, good value for money climbing wall please? I have a very keen young son who enjoys these so much but the ones we have found seem so pricey per session. Has anyone found any good deals or any other ideas on this subject? Any help and personal experiences on this much appreciated.

?11 isn't expensive-I used to go to both The Castle in archway and the westway where it was about ?20. These places are brilliant for slightly more experienced climbers. It is an expensive sport...I've got all the equipment gathering dust in the loft and it shocks me to think how much we spent!

I used to climb regularly at The Castle in Finsbury Park and at the Arch in London Bridge (now closed but the owners opened a new wall in Bermondsey). The Castle says ?7 for under 18s (it's more for adults but not as much as ?20). Most places you can bulk buy entries to pay less or get a season pass of some kind.

The Castle is excellent for both kids and experienced climbers but quite far away (lots of lessons there too for kids I think). The wall at crystal palace would be good for kids too - although it's much smaller it may be a lot less crowded. I think the space at Brixton Rec would not be as nice for kids (it's on a kind of narrow high up balcony) but maybe worth a try if it works out much cheaper.

If you don't have equipment you would have to pay to hire it, but kids might be able to get away without proper climbing shoes and if they stick to the lower 'bouldering' routes rather than roped routes you could get away without harnesses perhaps? It might be worth giving a couple of places a call. If you want to try Crystal Palace I'd contact the climbing people direct rather than the sports centre.

http://www.high-sports.co.uk/climbing_site.php?site=crystalpalace&section=home

We have been to Crystal Palace twice with my 8yr old. It is excellent but yes steep at around ?12 and I have said every other week only. However, you get a full 90 mins with expert instruction. You do have to book centrally through Climb London - you will need to google them for their website and details. If your child gets into the sport you can pay for yearly membership and block book lessons all at reduced prices.