Nursery- school!

uzma

Hello,

I'm just planning ahead and so confused!

My daughter goes to a private nursery right now. She will eligible for the 15 free hours starting September'15 ( she will be 3 years old in May 2015).

My question is what do you after this ? Would she need to go to a school nursery ? When do the applications start ? I read on a website that it's your choice to send them at 4 years old or 5! I would obviously prefer her going from her private nursery into a school nursery / reception.

I basically would like to know what happens next!

Also the school nursery/reception what ever it is next would that be a full school day ?

You don't have to use a school nursery - they offer half day sessions, and children start the September after their 3rd birthday. Applications for nursery are generally done directly with the school I think, so try ringing your local ones if that's a route you want to go down. For many working parents this facility is tricky to work around, as it involves arranging half day childcare/pickups etc.

They start reception the September after their 4th birthday, and applications are made online through the council, usually to be completed by the January before they are due to start.

The above is for state schools, private school processes differ so it's best to contact the schools if you are thinking about these as options.

Hope that helps.

if you're happy with the nursery she's in you just keep her there till she starts school, if they offer the free 15 hours then they'll knock that off the fees - so Miss Oi is 3 days a week, 8-6 and the 15 free hours are deducted from the total. She'll stay there still she starts school (reception) September 2014.

School nurseries are a bit hopeless if you both work as their hours are very limited.

We're going to be eligible for the free hrs after Christmas & are sticking with our current private nursery.

Seems we don't need to apply/complete anything beforehand, but do need to sign off a form for the nursery to be claiming the money back from Southwark.

It's worth noting that the 15hrs a week is only based on a school year (?38wks), so it does work out as less than 15hrs a week if your child is there 50wks a year - still not to be sniffed at & having just had No2 the reduction in outgoings is very welcome!!