Day trips (from SE London)

Polly D

I work 3 days a week and have got all of next week off for the school holidays and was planning on doing various day trips with my son/s. Eldest is 6.5, youngest is 2.75 tho he can still go to nursery next week. Was hoping for some one-on-one time with my eldest (currently rather sensitive) boy.

I'd had visions of carefreely jumping on the train to the seaside at eg Broadstairs, or Frinton, or popping to Portsmouth to look at naval ships. However, today's weather, the forecast and some grumps (son's, okay maybe mine a bit too...) has reminded me life is not like the adverts and I ought to do some planning for it.

Any suggestions? We have a car but think train is more fun for day trips. Somewhere we can go to that doesn't take more than 1.5, 2 hours max from here.

Not looking for Legoland type excursion, and ideally not costing loads. Basically seaside style trips for not amazing weather!

Shoreham has a lovely beach and it's not as busy as Brighton.

Or Brighton good on a rainy-ish day as only 1 hour by train, you can walk along the beach but also go for a wander in the lanes. there are a couple of nice museums if you fancy, or the pavilion.

Also, my son loves London Wetlands Centre - even on a rainy day! Lots to explore.

Hampton Court Palace is good if he likes history. And Kew Gardens is great for mixed weather as you can shelter in the hothouses. Tickets are cheaper if you buy online.

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Margate is 55 mins on the express train from kings

> cross. Dreamland has just reopened and there is

> the Tate.

You mean the Turner.

And there's the lovely sandy beach, shell grotto and sea water lido.

We went here on the weekend - beautiful and loads of stuff to do for kids (abstract art painting on the day we went and also interacting with a live yeti in the woods!). I'd never heard of it but as we have moved to Beckenham someone local recommended it to us and so luckily it was only half an hour drive away from us (probably one hour from ED).

http://www.riverhillgardens.co.uk/

A friend also recommended this place and it does look good on the website (i.e. lots to do for kids)

http://www.groombridgeplace.com/

Also for Olympic Park, there is currently a man-made 'beach' with paddling pool and a load of funfair rides - bouncy slide, roller coasters etc. Not especially cheap, but fun. And if it tips down, Westfield is nearby with the Lego Shop and cinema and a zillion restaurants.