holiday booking problem

mdcosta

Hi

i had booked a self catering cottage in South Wales for next week. Spoke to the owner a couple of times on the phone and when we confirmed dates, he sent through an email confirmation with the advice to contact him a week before we travel to confirm arrival time. This was back in February.

Problem now is that all attempts to contact him have come to nothing.tried to email, text, phone, even sent him an enquiry on the website he listed the cottage under. It's been two days and I am at my wits end. We were so looking forward to going away...I have tried looking elsewhere but everything is either booked up or too expensive.

any suggestions what we could do now?

Thanks

milly

Sorry to hear. Doesn't sound promising. Where did you find details originally? Any recourse through that avenue? Have you tried googling any details you do have to see what comes up? Then last steps, not sure what might be covered under any insurance you might have. If it's over ?100 and you paid by credit card (not debit) then you can get money back from credit card company I believe?

If you went through an online company, i'd contact them and explain. Perhaps they can find an alternative or it may even be that they *have* to find you an alternative or compensate you somehow.

Then perhaps go onto some sort of last minute website and grab a late deal and go away?

Thanks for replying. We found him on holidaylettings.co.uk He did not ask for a deposit which i found strange at the time but thought his confirmation email was good enough as it came through the same website. He has glowing reviews on tripadvisor too.

The holidaylettings site states that we are only protected if we have paidthrough them so i guess we can't ask them to help.I have left reviews about our experience on there and tripadvisor though.

I m in the process of booking alternative accommodation elsewhere (at an exorbitant price buy hey ho)

you live and learn I guess..

have a lovely day everyone. .

My father paid 3k upfront cost to a house we regularly stayed in.

We used to book thru cottages4you but started paying directly as we got to know the owners.

Anyway, one year we couldn't get through. Did aa bit of research and it turned out the owners had gone bankrupt... they had tons of holiday homes aand had declared being bankrupt multiple times before.

We'd been stitched up good and proper. Along w a load of other holiday makers.

We have always since booked through a website for protection.

We lost the whole 3k