Ideas for holiday abroad with kids - 3.5 and 1.5

Hi all,

We've decided we'd like to take the kids abroad for the first time and brave the journey for a bit of spring / early summer sun. However, we're finding it more difficult than we expected to find somewhere ideal for the kids (3.5 and 1.5) whilst offering something for adults as well.

Combining activities for the kids, safety around pools for toddlers etc with a relatively painfree journey is somehow more difficult than I expected. Eurocamp might be an option, although I have to say I personally find that uninspiring and wonder if the kids are still a bit young for that anyway. Hiring a villa feels like sometimes it is a compromise on safety around the pool where you wouldn't be able to turn your back for a second (although some are safer than others of course)

What are others doing with similar aged kids? Does anyone have any suggestions for good holidays in Europe, or further afield even, with a young family? Perhaps we should just stay in the UK, but we'd really like to go this year before we have to start worrying about school holidays!

Many thanks, MB

HI

Cant really offer any ideas but can say that renting a villa is really nice as you have all the facilities of home with 2 young kids.

We did it last year in Portugal with our then 2 year old and 10 month old (Sardinia the year before with just one child). Both were fine around the pool, yes you do have to be careful and watch them but they also learn the dangers and just keep armbands on them as much as possible. We are going back to the same place this year.

Good luck with holiday planning.

It might be a little early in the season hence slightly cool but have been to Pagel in France, the martinhal in Portugal and both were well set up for young kids. Have been to a few of the eurocamp sites; Saint avit loisirs, Les alicourts, we have always been as an extended family group which has been great for all, self catering in all but martinhal where you can do B and B or half board.

Facilities at all have kids pool, some with indoors as well, kids playgrounds, kids clubs in some I think Pagel is doing a kids club for the first time this year.

Good luck it can be great fun!

Have to say the most relaxing holiday with kids I ever took was one where we had a villa but there was an option for it to be catered. No cooking for a week! Villas are great as you have the space and convenience of home, but not having to think about shopping or food was incredible. At the time we booked we were a little narked as it obviously made it more expensive, but it was amazing!

Try the website "Tots to Travel". Lots of good options. Agree having a villa/flat rather than a hotel room makes things much easier. I'm hoping for a holiday to Spain this summer - shall be looking through this website or Owners Direct or something similar.

We have been to lantana resort in Sardinia in June which was lovely, also punta prima insotel in June 2 years ago (prestige section only though!) which was bigger w more facilities

Last year we went to princess yazia in April in lanzarote which was fab

All with similar aged kids to you..

Couldn't recommend the Vila Vita Parc Resort & Spa in Portugal enough. We booked through Kuoni who were very impressive.

Everything was taken care of and we were treated wonderfully well. The resort is just stunning. It's like a self-contained village with a private beach and multiple pools and restaurants. They have on site creche and children's club facilities, including a very nice playground :)