Tuesday - NUT Strike Action - Sharing Child Care

The NUT will strike next week. Affected schools will be closed on Tuesday.

If you are a parent or carer, please voice your support for this important action, designed to help bring the nation's attention back to the real problems facing our children, which (in the words of Harriet Harman) "are the responsibility of this Government, and not the fault of the EU, or of migrants, wherever they are from".

We should all make arrangements to pool our childcare resources next Tuesday, and to organise activities for our children to do together.

It is so important that we enable our teachers to take this action, free from guilt, that they are inconveniencing us, or acting in any way against the interests of our children. It is so important that we stand together at this time.

WMxx

It is so important that we point out to our teachers the irresponsibly of this action; they are inconveniencing us, and acting in every way against the interests of our children. It is so important that we stand together at this time.

Have you thought to ask your child's teacher why they're striking?

In my class of 32 children, 80% speak English as a second, third and in one case forth language. Not only am I teaching them how to read, write and speak English but to understand idioms, write using the passive voice and understand nuance in their vocabulary choice using academic language. Rumour has it class sizes are increasing to 35 in my school. These children will get less and less time and attention spent on them. How will this develop their learning?

4 children have medical conditions which affect their learning. Due to cuts to school funding there is no additional support for these children anymore. Just me. Teachings assistants are not being replaced as they leave. Teaching assistants are being asked to reduce their hours. Speech and language therapy has suddenly become a luxury that we might not be able to afford much longer.

On top of this I am judged and my pay is decided on the progress of all of these children. These children who are all assessed using the same test. A test which doesn't care that the boy in my class with severe dyslexia has the most incredible ideas but can't spell for toffee. A test which doesn't care about the fact that some children have only been learning English for a year or 18 months. A test which doesn't care about the fact that a child has a 75% attendance this year because they have been attending physio therapy sessions.

I am working in excess of 60 hours a week for your children. I put their needs ahead of my own and my family's. How selfish of me to try to protect your children's education.

Maybe you see this as irresponsible, maybe this will inconvenience some parents but if our actions made your life easy would anyone listen to us? Perhaps if we had an education secretary who was an ex-teacher they would understand the ridiculous demands they put on teachers and schools.

Thank you WorkingMummy for supporting teachers and understanding that this is an important day for us to try to make the government listen. Thank you for having a mature attitude towards mitigating the inconvenience that we are aware that this will cause. I've spoken to several parents of my class who fully support the action of the NUT and it is much appreciated.

So DaveR, when you point out to your child's teacher your disgust and the irresponsibility of their action and you remind them of their selfishness, please also ask them to tell you how many hours they worked this week - then maybe have a look at how little teachers get paid for this. Ask them how many of their own child's sports days, assemblies and school plays they've missed. The last time they could afford to go on holiday. Oh and how many sick days they haven't taken because your child was more important than recovering from the flu or getting over the physical and mental symptoms of a miscarriage. I'm sure then you will understand just how selfish your teachers are.

I hear you furious teacher, I fully support the strike.

I was cycling somewhere at 7am the other morning, and was shocked to see so many of my childs teachers heading to school. You teachers work your socks off for our kids, and we absolutely need to support you. We need to put a spanner in the governments attempts to turn schools into profit making self serving academies. They are failing our children and the teachers.

I am organising a trip to Brighton (weather permitted) for a few of the children in my childs class. As I am alone, I can't take many, but if any parents want to join us, we are heading for kemptown beach for the day.

I know why teachers are striking. I also know how much they get paid, their pension terms, turnover rates, and sick days (sick days = greater than the public sector average and more than double private sector average). And how many working days (for children, learning days) were lost to strikes in recent years. All of this information is in the public domain. Teaching, if done properly, is a tough job. So are many other jobs. What do you think parents do while their children are at school - go to the park?

The NUT is second only to the RMT as the UK's most militant trade union. The links between its national leadership and the hard left are well-documented. Needless to say, Furiousteacher, you do not have my support.

NB, on strike day I will not be going to the beach - I will be going to work.

Do you wonder why they have sick days In High numbers? Could it be that their jobs are far more stressful than most others? Where will your children be on the strike day DaveR? I am self employed, I will be losing a days work. Luckily I can do that, though I can ill afford it. I am willing to support the teachers and the education of our children. If you don't want to support the teachers, that's your choice. I support a caring profession that raises the life chances of the next generation. We all know why they are striking, increased class sizes, the reduced funding, high and increasing workload, and pay that doesn't match what's expected of them. I think it's worth investing in.

I wonder what profession you are in, both posts are 11am, are you in your tea break? It's highly likely that furious teacher is often working at home at the time of posting.....this isn't a suggestion that they work harder/ than you, not my place at all, just the importance of understanding their situation

Incidentally if anyone is organising something else please let me know as it would be good to have a plan B.

As I pointed out in the Lounge- the turnout was 24.2% and 91% voted for strike action. As a teacher myself and a Union Officer for 20 years I think the Sickness thing refers to long-term illness or Disability and Statutory Sick Leave rather than odd days off for whatever reason, because if a teacher has several short term absences through sickness he/she is questioned about it.

I don't know about other schools but there seems to be a tendency to employ NQTs or Teach First applicants because they are cheap- obviously these young teachers will be easily overwhelmed if not managed properly (and they are not in many cases)- the older staff may become senior managers - less time in the class room and more time dreaming up more (usually unnecessary) paperwork for the less experienced- NQTs and young teachers will not speak up because they do not want to draw attention to themselves (read into that what you will). And they will also NOT speak up when they are having difficulties with behaviour management because senior and line managers have a tendency to blame the teacher's approach etc if the class is not working appropriately. Also, the micro-management that is going on today is an absolute insult to many teachers who come into the profession full of enthusiasm and energy, and older teachers who have tried, tested and successful methods, only to be told what to do every minute of the day, become bored and leave. This is extremely stressful in itself.

Also, you can blame David Blunkett for Inclusion....which has disadvantaged EVERY child imvho

I have borrowed this from a facebook group I'm in as I thought it was very helpful:

Parents - are you a wee bit pissed off that teachers are on strike again? And it's all about their pay?!!

I am a teacher and I will be on strike on Tuesday. I want to explain why.

1. It's not really about pay.

As a profession I think we are well paid. That is why we have good quality professionals working hard to teach children, inspire them and look after them. But this is about to change.

2. The white paper

The governments latest white paper proposes DEREGULATION of teachers pay and conditions. Currently all local authority employed teachers in England are paid according to the same contract. Like nurses and doctors, we have automatic pay progression (so the longer you serve the more you get - an incentive to stay in the profession), pay portability (if we move schools we get the same basic pay - they can't pay us less - this stops a competition between schools for teachers based on money - without it richer schools will always poach good staff from poorer schools) .

3. What is performance-related pay?

The introduction of performance related pay will mean that teachers get paid according to exam results. As a parent I would never want a teacher to look at my child and think 'is he going to wreck my data and stop my pay rise?' We are not working in sales - it is hugely problematic to pay us based on exam results.

4. Why should non-teachers care about teachers pay and conditions?

Deregulation also means that our working hours, holidays, pay, sick pay and maternity pay will be individually decided by the employer - the academy that is. An Academy in Manchester has in its contract that maternity pay will be 'subject to affordability'. Who will become a teacher if the terms and conditions are unattractive? A mum said to me yesterday 'but in my job I don't get good maternity pay - why should I care about teachers?'. My answer is this: public sector pay and conditions set the bar for private sector pay and conditions. If we get screwed you will get screwed too.

5. What's the problem with academies and free schools?

Academies and free schools are businesses. That means their primary concern is money. The government is paving the way for them to become profit-making businesses. Already many academies double up as wedding venues, conference facilities etc. No harm in generating revenue eh? Well only if it's being ploughed back into the school and The children. Let's remember schools are about children aren't they? It seems not. Many academies including Harris academies have recently got in trouble for deliberately excluding 'problem children' and paying local authority schools to take them off their hands - because they wreck the data. How can you publish your excellent GCSE results if some stubborn children just won't make progress! The answer in some academies is to get rid of them - then you don't have to report their results.

So if the money isn't spent on the kids where does it go?

Good question!

Do a Google search on haberdashers free school account fraud. He ran off with ?4million! How did he manage to do that? Answer - because he was only accountable to the board of governors and the head teacher. Local authority schools are overseen by a democratically elected local council. Academies don't have to bother with that level of accountability. And the government also wants to get rid of parent governors. This would mean that academies would only be accountable to themselves. We're talking about millions of pounds of public money. Already there have been many documented cases of fraud in academies and free schools.

6. Qualified teachers V unqualified teachers

Academies and free schools don't have to employ qualified teachers. Unqualified teachers are cheaper of course. But I know which one I want teaching my children.

This is all I have time to write just now.

The problem is that most teachers are so busy that they haven't taken time to communicate all this with parents. I think we need to get much better at doing that.

But just think about your children's teachers - do you trust them? If you do then please trust that they are on strike for the right reasons - for the future of our jobs and our schools - defending education from privatisation.

Please ask questions.

I too am a teacher, striking on Tuesday, and very grateful for the support of most of you on this thread. Unfortunately, as not every teacher in my school is striking (due to being in different unions and fear of reprisal mainly), my school is staying open, with the exception of the classes whose teachers will be on strike. As such, some (by no means all) parents are blaming me personally for being selfish, and causing them to take a day off work. I cannot add much to what has already been said above, but will add this.

I am not striking for pay. I am striking against proposals and a changing landscape which affect the education of other people's children. Class sizes are increasing and funding is being cut, with no clear plan. Good teachers are leaving in their droves, due to workload and a system which fails to support them, instead holding them accountable for problems that were forced upon them.

I am sacrificing a day's pay for the sake of other people's children; it would be nice if the parents of those children would care as much about their children's education and not begrudge having to make other arrangements for one day. Parents and teachers need to unite on this issue, not be forced into a situation that causes conflict. I may not agree with the timing of the strike, but I will still stand up for the reasons behind it.

I would just like to add that before teaching I spent 10 years in another career. I took a pay cut of over 50% and work a damn sight harder now than I have ever done. I have not taken a single sick day, work over 12 hours a day and through holidays and weekends but I do not begrudge any of this because I feel I am doing something important. Whether or not this is recognised by the general population isn't important. What is important is that the rights of a child to education are upheld and, in a society that is prosperous by global standards, that this education is provided to as high of a level as can be afforded. If every one of us - teachers along with the rest of us - stood up for that, then I feel that we might get somewhere.

It is important to understand what the strike (which yes, was called for by over 90% of those who voted) is for.

It is a last ditch protest against the Education For All Bill, directed at a government which ISN'T LISTENING.

A good place to start to read about the Bill is here: https://www.teachers.org.uk/campaigns/white-paper

Enough is enough!

I have three children in state education and my family is affected by this strike. But i question who in their right mind would be standing with this Tory government against the people who actually devote their working week to teaching and caring for our young children.

Support our teachers. Save your anger for the government.

Yes 90% of 24.7% turn out...

Class sizes increased under Bliar because the heat was on to maximise C grades- so the most able classes were increased, and the weaker classes were increased so that the borderline C/D grade classes were smaller to ensure the C grades. Blair had 13 years to do something about the state of the education but he did nothing...why- especially since his mantra was Education, Education, Education? So stop knocking the Tories because Labour are just as bad- if not worse because they make promises and renege. At least the kids in academies do not get used as political footballs.

So good to see so much support for today's strike. I have only been teaching 5 years but each year the goal posts are moved and the budgets are tightened. No longer is there one TA per class - even when 20% of the children are either in the early stages of learning English or are two years behind in their learning. 60 hour weeks are the norm - teaching is not long holidays, is it very long shift work. How can overstretched, exhausted teachers be good for children's learning? In addition, there is an atrocious new curriculum focused on tough tests that set children up to fail ( only 50% of this year's year six cohort passed their SATS today). Teachers are best placed to protest against these reforms and fight for a better future for all children.

As for taunts about sickness - my local authority school, even one day's sickness requires a return to work interview and paper-trail. I worked for 20 years in marketing and no paperwork was required for sick leave of less than a week. And, yes I did earn 80% more and work 40% less.

The whole purpose of industrial action is to disrupt the norm and draw attention. Yes, it is tough on working parents who have to pull rabbits out of hats to accommodate class closures. But we wouldn't strike if we didn't feel so strongly about the current government's decimation of education and children's futures. And the strike wouldn't be effective if it didn't disrupt. I am proud to be a teacher and I feel privileged to be able to make a difference to children's lives, but I also feel angry about the current govt's education policies and feel justified in protesting.

"the current government's decimation of education and children's futures"

The NUT has said this about every government for the last 30+ years - and yet schools and children continue to thrive.

The strike is about pay and conditions - no different from any other industrial dispute. But just like the RMT and the FBU always cry 'public safety', teachers always cry 'we're protecting your childrens' futures'. It's disingenuous and wrong.

DaveR, you might want to read something more uo to date, like this year's SATs results. You think that there isn't a problem when only 53% of 11 year olds met the "expected standard" in reading, writing and maths?

It amazes me that, despite the political turmoil recently with the lies and misinformation given out by the Leave campaign prior to the referendum that people continue to only believe what a person with a vested interest tells you. Have you ever been in a school and spoken to a teacher?

I spoke to lots of people during the match yesterday, and not a single person was there because of pay.

It amazes me that you evidently choose to believe that standards have inexplicably plummeted in a single year rather than take account of the introduction of an entirely new set of tests. It amazes me even more that you can, without any apparent irony, refer to vested interests when describing the ONS and advise me to talk to a teacher instead.

Why don't you read the post by SLad above. This strike is absolutely about pay and conditions, specifically this:

"Currently all local authority employed teachers in England are paid according to the same contract. Like nurses and doctors, we have automatic pay progression (so the longer you serve the more you get - an incentive to stay in the profession), pay portability (if we move schools we get the same basic pay - they can't pay us less - this stops a competition between schools for teachers based on money"

You either think this is a good idea or not. I don't. But it's very much to do with teachers' interests, not childrens.

More fundamentally though the dispute is about accountability. The NUT doesn't want it's members to be accountable to central govt (whether via Ofsted or more generally). It doesn't want its members to be accountable to school heads and governors - that's why it opposes academies. It wants to to go back to the days of LEAs i.e. no accountability at all. No thanks.