Sydenham High School

I'm also at a loss to why more people haven't replied... My kids are too young to go (plus we can't afford it!) but from what I know, it's a really caring, lovely environment with lots going on. They help girls who need it by stretching the more able and supporting anyone who's struggling (the SEN teacher there is fantastic). Less of a hot house then other equivalents so if that's your thing it's probably not the school for you.

I know a number of people who have children at the school, all very happy (and nice, well-adjusted kids too, which is a good sign!). As an outsider looking in it seems to have public school benefits without an elitist attitude.

Both our daughters go to SHS and I can honestly say it's a kind, nurturing lively school where girls are really encouraged to participate even where they might not excel at something. There is no concept of "I'm better than you" or being less important if you are not top of the class. Academics are impt but not the only important thing. The staff genuinely care and the parents are close without being closed or cliquey. It's a happy school with happy girls and happy parents and as a result has children who learn and look forward to school. Pls feel free to pm if you want to know more.

I also have a daughter at Sydenham high. She started in year 7 after finishing at Dulwich Hamlet. A bit less than half of the year 7 entry came form schools other than Sydenham High Junior and they all seem to have integrated really well. Whilst we really liked Dulwich Hamlet, I think you can see the difference you get for your money. The classes are very small ( 17 in her form group), and there's loads of really good extra curricular stuff and all the girls seem to take part in something. My daughter is particularly looking forward to a netball tour to Barbados next term! They work them hard enough, and have exams twice a year which they are expected to revise for, but overall it's not super-competitive or pushy, and the emphasis seems to be on having well rounded, happy and successful girls. I'd say they are particularly strong on drama and do fabulous productions, but whatever you're interested in I think you could thrive there. Downsides are lack of on site playing fields, and possibly being a bit small and protected to give you a full sense of the real world. It seems that although they love it there, the majority of the girls go somewhere else for 6th form, possibly because they want something a bit bigger and with boys around. However, overall we're really happy with the school.