Horniman Gardens Urgent safety issue

B+

On Saturday 23rd July I witnessed what could easily have been a shocking tragedy

when a toddler was running towards the traffic on London Road from Horniman

Gardens via the gate to the left of the main entrance (facing). The child?s father was screaming for him to stop from further up the hill and was running towards his son.

He caught up and managed to stop the child just in time, it was all very traumatic.

A near miss this time but this gate is an accident waiting to happen it has a path that

a small child would not be seen from many angles and there is no physical boundary

to stop a small child from running straight out into the traffic on London Road.

This gate needs to either be locked or fitted with a childproof gate urgently.

Cc Horniman Gardens

I'm so glad this child is okay. However, I think its a bit harsh to criticize the museum. I can't think of a single museum or park that doesn't have an open gate a child could run out through and into traffic. There is nothing unusual in Horniman's set up.

Like the poster above, I'm glad to hear that the child was OK, but surely the parents/carers have to take responsibility for their child? If you have a young child who is prone to running off, they you know you must keep a close eye on them, or keep them on reins. I don't understand why it would be the museum's responsibility to install a safety gate?

Agree with others. I've been taking my kids to the Horniman for nearly 10 years and never had an incident like this. Parent/guardian needs to be aware of where their child is and the potential risks, as should always be the case.

Same could be said of the gate out of Peckham Rye Park near the Herne, Dulwich Park onto Court Lane etc.