US Holiday advice

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I hope someone in the ED community can help. My father is celebrating a venerable birthday next year and has booked a house in Cape Cod for the whole family for one week. We want to spend another week on the east coast but have no idea where would be good to visit. Happy to drive c. 5-6 hours from Boston if necessary. Does anyone have any thoughts - we don't know the area at all, and our American friends and relations are all west coast based...

Thank you

I've lived in the East Coast of the US and Canada and go back once a year with my son. We went to a family wedding to Mystic Conneticut (a couple hours from Boston) last year and this is a lovely little town. My son went kayaking on the river with his uncle, there is a Historic Seaport which you can spent ages looking round - lots of lovely little shops and restaurants. We rented a very nice airbnb cottage. In the surrounding area you there are lovely places - like the Florence Grinwold Art Gallery & Museum.

Or you could go North, drive up to Maine - Maine coast is so beautiful but it could be further than you want to drive I reckon. But Maine is really great! OR, if you want to fly, you could do a stop over in Halifax Nova Scotia - easy flights from Boston and then onto the UK. Nova Scotia is a great destination for families!

Enjoy!

And Mayland, in the same vicinity of Virginia and Washington. You could get the train from Boston to Washington.

So many amazing places to visit. Virginia is the start of the southern USA. If you are interested in US history, then that area is mind blowing.

Depends on whether you want to stay in the North East or go down to Washington area (in which case definitely fly back from DC rather than Boston). If kids are 10 and above then Washington and all the museums etc., plus Busch Gardens and colonial Williamsburg may be fun. If they're younger then staying in the NE - Boston and going up to Maine, may be fun. Of course you can always head down to NYC but not so much fun if kids are quite young.

When are you going - consider weather as well because DC is very hot and humid in the summer.

The Cape is amazing - enjoy!

From an American who lived eight years on the east coast (Washington, DC): GO TO MAINE!! You won't regret it. Get a little cottage on the water and spend your days eating lobster rolls and wandering darling seaside towns. Check out Camden for a not too touristy (but oh so lovely!) town.