Recently moved to nunhead... school recommendations

Rking89

Hi everyone I've recently moved to nunhead and will be needing to change my children's schools. I've moved from the Lewisham borough and worked in a few schools so knew quite a bit about them but nothing about local Southwark schools.

Would be a great help if anyone could make some recommendations for my husband and I to go and have a look at?

Thanks

If you're looking at primary schools I would suggest your first step is to call Southwark council and find out what place you would be on the waiting list for an in year transfer at any nearby schools and then you can see which are worth going to look at. Although there is some movement in year, if you're 30th in a list you won't really have a realistic chance of getting in to that school. I don't imagine any schools near nunhead have open places as most are over subscribed. The school Southwark usually seems to place in year transfers in is St Francesca Cabrini, where my child goes, but it's a Catholic school so not everyone's preference. Do you want to move your kids aasap or wait until a place at a school you like comes up?

rking, where in Nunhead are you? Ivydale is a much loved primary and an obvious first choice for many,depends on where in Nunhead you are though? Some areas of Nunhead are close to Lewisham schools (john stainer, edmund waller, haberdashers). It really depends on your location. Good luck with it and there are lots of parents here from the various primary schools who will be able to offer feedback on specific ones.

Hi rking, it depends where in Nunhead you are. In the North, John Donne would be the primary to look at. In the centre, near Evelina Rd, Rye Oak, Hollydale and possibly Edmund Waller depending on how far east you are and Ivydale, Turnham and possible Haberdasher's Aske Free School in south Nunhead.

If you are on the edge of previous last place distances for the school you like, you may be best checking if a place is available for your daughter so that your son would have a sibling place.

Good luck and welcome to Southwark.

Renata