Books for a 10 year old boy

Elfy

My son is a voracious reader but can be quite picky about what he reads.. for example he won't go near the Philip Pulman books. This can be quite frustrating but we try and persevere and provide him with loads to read. He's read the Harry Potter series and Percy Jackon about 5 times. He's moved onto some adult books: Animal Farm, The Da Vinci Code, The Curious Incident of Dog in the Night Time.

Has anyone got any suggestions of adult or YA books that are suitable for a 10 year old? I remember reading loads of Dick Francis when I was younger. I was hoping there's a gentle series of WhoDunnits that will keep him occupied for a while (the summer?!)

The large St Christopher's charity shop has a great teenage section up next to the adult books. My son loved the Cherub series at that age and they often have those....pretty full on I think but apparently well written too....worth trying Majorie Blackman too...

Thanks all. He's read a few Majorie Blackman. I might try and find some more.

We are regulars in the charity shops and I agree, it's a great way of finding some cheap books.

Never heard of the Cherub series...will check that out.

I fear he won't try the Classics but I may try getting one on the Kindle and see how we go.

I struggle to get my ten year old off the Percy Jacksons... but he is currently working his way through the Bartimaeus (sp?) books - plenty to keep him busy over the summer.

Has he read the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series by Michelle Paver? Or, more classically, the Lord of the Rings?

My son is 10 too and reads so quickly!

Percy Jackson also has offshoots: Magnus Chase, Trials of Apollo, the Red Pyramid, also Percy Jackson's guide to Greek Gods/ Heroes.

He has recently finished the Skulduggery Pleasant book set from the Book People, and really enjoyed it.

Also the Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones (again Book People)

If your son liked Curious Incident, he may like the London Eye Mystery (Siobhan o'Dowd). Also there is the Chaos Walking trilogy (Patrick Ness), and always the Hunger Games...

He is read ALL the Percy Jacksons many times. I will check out Bartimaeus. He did enjoy Michelle Paver's books.. and he's read Lord of the Rings.

Not sure if he's tried the Chrestomanci series so will take a look.

The London Eye Mystery and Chaos Walking trilogy sound interesting... he's read The Hunger Games.

He also really enjoyed Wonder and A Monster Calls. They brought a tear to the eye!

Thanks for all your suggestions! It is hard reaching that sweet spot where the books have enough interest.. yet aren't completely unsuitable. There are some good YA titles too.

Rick Riordan obviously making money out of both of us then!

Do check our Skulduggery Pleasant (by Derek Landy) though - it's really quite hard to get my son into a new book series so I was surprised when he read these so eagerly. Also:

Discworld series (Terry Pratchett)

Bromeliad Trilogy (Terry Pratchett)

Lemony Snickett

Artemis Fowl

Earthsea series (Ursula le Guin)

Foundation series (Arthur C Clarke)

Itch series (Simon Mayo)