What is best age for child's 1st holiday abroad?

sam&pat

Just wondered if anyone had advice on the best age to take my baby abroad? Well I say baby, he has just turned 1 & now walking. We were thinking of going late September maybe Majorca but not sure if we should wait until next year when he's able to do more? Are we just wasting money going this year? & In your experiences how have littles ones been on planes as I can't think of anything worse than stuck on a plane for 2 hours while he's screaming his head of lol

Funnily enough, it's better to go when they aren't walking. However, Majorca isn't very far and going in September is good to avoid school holiday price hikes. Still should be warm too. Holidays are very different post-kids but I generally find the Spanish, Greeks and Italians are very welcoming to young children so you can take them out to restaurants in the evening. Don't worry if he cries ? they don't seem to mind. Be careful about booking apartments with unsafe balconies, also pools tend to be unfenced on the Continent. I think as long as you feel confident transferring his routine to a holiday place, the holiday will be more about you and your partner than your baby. My kids are 8 and 6 and we find holidays abroad are just about trying to squeeze in a bit of culture, rest and eating out in between the constant demands for ice creams and beach/pool visits!

we have used the website www.babyfriendlyboltholes.co.uk for many years (from when our daughter was a toddler right up to this year at age 11), they have properties all over the world and we have never been disappointed with the standard of accommodation or facilities available.

Also worth remembering that from age 2 your child will require a seat on the plane - at 1 he can sit on your knee and save you a small fortune.....

Advice for planes is to turn into the type of parent you probably used to sneer at before you had a child yourself - in other words, stock up on sweets and treats and produce them at regular intervals, and glue them to a screen at all other times. You won't win any parenting awards, but it's the best way to ensure that you (and your fellow passengers) have a peaceful flight.

And think about your evenings too. Our first holiday away with a baby we rented a little cottage in France, which in retrospect wasn't very baby-friendly as they don't seem to like children in restaurants there. So we were eating early, then finding ourselves faced with rather empty evenings in a quiet cottage with no TV or wifi. We'd have been better off going to one of the countries Lula suggested, where you can take your baby to a restaurant and no one bats an eye if they make a bit of noise or get down to play in a quiet corner, and you can take your time over the meal.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your advice I really appreciate it & will definitely take it all on board. Maybe it's just me but everything seems so much stressful once you have a child doesn't it? Or is it just me. I took my donto get measured for shoes today at Clarks, came back with no shoes he went berserk in there wouldn't let the lady put it on his foot I was SO embarrassed.

You'll become more confident as he grows. I remember having a meltdown one day on LL when I couldn't find a comfortable place to breastfeed. It was all brand new and daunting but just remember all other parents with older children have been there before so are not judging you. If anyone does, and it does happen, don't let it get you down. You're doing your best. I found it incredibly helpful chatting to mums with similar age kids to mine at that young age.

Shoe shops: Emmanuelle Marshall ? Dorothy who owns this independent shop is really lovely and knowledgeable and has lots of nice brands to choose from.

Thanks Lula they are very kinds words & I think definitely as a 1st time mum things seems so daunting sometimes....I'm getting there slowly but surely I hope. Maybe by baby no. 3 I might have the knack of it lol Again appreciate all the advice