School run: central Sydenham to West Dulwich - car or train?

mbyrne

Is the traffic horrendous between Sydenham and Dulwich during the time of the school run 8.30 / 3.30? How long are we talking about? 30 mins?

My 2.5 year old starts nursery in September and I'm debating whether to take the train (Penge East - West Dulwich) or drive (we're just off Sydenham high street). I'll have a newborn in tow and will need a pushchair so debating whether or not to brave the stairs and the commuter train!

Thanks

The traffic from Sydenham to the south circular is not great at 8am - I do the opposite route to drop my daughter at school in Sydenham for 8.30am (although leaving from East Dulwich rather than west). When the traffic?s really bad it takes us half an hour to get home but from the Grove to our house is not very far whereas from that junction to the west Dulwich schools might take a bit longer. Is that the route you would take?

For me it would probably come down to how well the newborn likes the car! My youngest HATED it until about 10 months so if she?d been tiny when my elder daughter started school I?d have probably taken the bus for our route... thankfully she was okay by 18 months when we started the school run.

Afternoon pick up is fine both ways.

Thanks!

I can either go via kirkdale/the horinman and then join the south circular or via gypsy hill/croxted road. The school is pretty much at West Dulwich station.

I think I'll try out the various options, probably the car first as I get used to the logistics of having 2 children and then test out the train if, like my son, the baby hates the car seat!

Hi

I have lots of friends who catch the train from Penge east to west Dulwich as I?m sure you are joining the same school .

My advice would be the train in the morning and the car in the afternoon when your little one is tired from nursery and there is no rush what time you get home.

My friends all say the traffic can be horrendous in the morning. You will find lots of people willing to help with the pram!

Having done Sydenham - Dulwich (far end of Dulwich Cillage, Chaeter area), a lot over the years, I can tell you that the later you go, the worse the traffic.

I leave the house at 7.30am and on a good day can be at the far end of Dulwich village by 7.50 bit if there are any issues on the south circular this can take up to 30 mins.

The closer you get to 8am the worse it gets. I reckon if I left at 7.45am it would always take

30 mins and if I left at 8am I wouldn't get there until 8.40/8.45 (indeed o used to leave at this time when my youngest was a newborn - she used to fall asleep it took us so long!)

It can get really backed up going up Kirkdale.

If you are going later it's probably slightly quicker to go up Westwood Hill, down College Road and up Croxted Road after the Gypsy Hill roundabout especially as you are heading to West Dulwich.

I'm guessing you're joining Oakfield. Traffic along the South Circular is pretty awful, but the other big problem is parking for drop-offs. There isn't parking at the school and the roads around the school also have limited parking. The school has had to send notes about parking management a few times this year.

If you're at one of the other nearby schools the traffic will be the same but the parking may be different.

Thanks for the advice!

You're right it is Oakfield prep school (nursery) he's joining. Only 3 days a week though. I've heard the parking can be a nightmare and I'm a new driver, so that will be interesting :-)

I think it'll be a bit of trial and error to see what I can tolerate stress wise! Currently thinking train in the morning, car in the afternoon! Or someone suggested parking near the toll road and walking for 10/15 mins (which is what we'd have to do to get to Penge East anyway).