Swimming advice for 3 year old....

Marcus

Hi,

Does anyone have any useful suggestions? I need to push my 3 year old son's swimming ability forward.

He's struggling to feel confident in the water, hates water in his face, and the whole lesson is dominated by his fear of impending submersion by his teacher - although she doesn't pressure him at all.

I know we can struggle on, and eventually it will click, but I just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation, and found a particular route that works - different venue/one to one lessons etc.

Thanks.

Take the pressure off and try again later? 3 is very young and an age when the imagination/new fears seem to go crazy. Water can be frightening, but feeling the pressure to have to do something he doesn't want to do, or is not ready to do, is likely to push him in the opposite direction. What's the rush?

Yes, agree its best to take pressure off. Take him on lots of trips to the pool yourself and have fun with him. Be patient and when he's more confident and ready, start the lessons again. Lessons can be stressful as he's with a relative stranger.

One of mine was scared by water when little. By using this method she's now the strongest swimmer in the family!

Good luck!

Buy some goggles and practice in the bath. Play games like hunting for treasure and he collects at bottom of bath. U get in there with him also. Blow lots of bubbles. I agree about not rushing it and pls don't compare to other children. He needs to like water first and that's why the bath is the perfect place to learn. Goggles were the turning point for us

Good luck

Agree with what others have said. If you can manage a holiday where you will have daily exposure to a pool for a couple of weeks this can be a great way to build confidence. Both my girls have made huge leaps forward thanks to spending hours each day in & out of the water on summer holidays. It's actually saved us a fortune in swimming lessons I have to say.

Zoggs make some good swimming aids - the little discs (look like flying saucers) that you blow through the water are good - they encourage them to put their faces in the water & blow, the aim being to make the saucer flip over.

I think I'd leave the lessons for now & just focus on swimming at least once a week with him just for fun - take toys - boats, ducks, an inflable ring, whatever & hopefully he will forget his fears in time.

Good luck.

Talking of swimming aids, my children used a Polly otter swim suit that had pockets with polystyrene floaters in them. As they got better you take them out one by one. Not sure if they are still available but there are similar on market. Much better than arm bands.