can I smock my children?!

Yes, this is a question about smocking - as in little girls dresses.

My 2 girls are very fortunate in having 2 doting grandmothers.One who is very handy with a sewing machine, and makes all sorts of fantastic pinny dresses for ever-day wear. Both my girls wear them all the time, and look great.

The other granny - my mum, has a penchant for buying little smock dresses. these are very pretty, but not so practical, and easy for running around in. Each might get worn a couple of times especially if they are summer dresses, and we don't have that much summer weather occasions - only 1 child-friend with a summer birthday, and no foreseable weddings coming up. Luckilly having 2 girls means that these dresses do get a bit more wear because of being passed on, but again, only once or twice throughout the year.

There is a nursery photo morning coming up, and it is a nice opportunity to get the 2 girls photo taken together. Something we have never quite managed successfully. Here is my question - is it over the top to dress both girls in smocks to have their photo taken?

I don't know why I am worrying about it. I know it would make my mum happy to see them being worn. If I put them in their usual nursery clothes - jeans and t-shirt, then I might always think it a shame, not to have taken this opportunity to see them looking smart and pretty both together.I suppose that if I do, then it is ultimate proof that I am actually turning into my mum.

Any suggestions, silly or serious, welcome.

Thanks

Ha ha, I read it as can I smack my children, and thought you were a brave lady asking for permission here :))

My daughter has a few smocked dresses... We tomboy them up with long sleeved tops and leggings underneath so that she can get some wear out of them. Go for it!