4 year old party - morning or afternoon

There have been a few threads recently about children's parties which have got me worrying about my daughter's one . I booked somewhere a while ago in the afternoon (2-5 - half an hour set up each side). However now I am worrying I haven't allowed enough time but I can't make the booking any earlier. I am thinking a 2.30-4.30 party is ok but a 3-5 is too late.

I could change it to the week after my daughter's birthday and get a morning slot - with no worries about who is before and longer to set up. And I suppose arrange a treat for the actual birthday weekend.

Are morning parties generally easier do people find for this age group? I have hired a story teller so there is a level of focus I am hoping for from the children!

susypx

We are regulars on the 4 and 5 year old party circuit these days and apart from one lunchtime party they have all been either 2:30 or 3pm starts and 2 hours long. Personally I like the later ones as it means the party food doubles as dinner, which, if combined with being a drop off party, gives parents a nice break!

yes that was my initial thinking however all the ones I have been to this year have been morning ones so was getting worried. The problem is the next weekend is the end of term so probably lots of people will disappear.

is half an hour enough time to set up a kids party? I have an entertainer coming who I know who also needs half an hour to set up so if we concentrate on her (and getting the food in) it then gives us 40 mins when she is doing her thing to set up the party food tables outside (unless it is terrible weather when we'll have to do a quick turnaround on the space inside - but what can you do). I was planning to bring some crafty stuff to have inside - it;s a princess party so can have crowns to decorate I suppose - will be a lifesaver if it rains!

next year onwards I want to do them at home but we are in the middle of building work so no chance!

woke up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat about this!

Susypx

susypx

yes , timetables and lists are my forte! thank you for advice I shall be militarily organised! How I can be so scared of doing a 4 year old party compared to some things I have done in my professional life I have no idea - but then I haven't worked for 4 years so the idea of actually organising a group of people is fairly terrifying!

susypx

SBot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I do morning otherwise they nag you all day....is

> it time for my party yet?..

I completely agree with this! Morning ones are best - then the kids have a long nap afterwards!

Not sure if there is a clear cut better option - both have pros and cons. Just go for what you think will work for you and don't worry about others. The kids will come and have fun whatever. And the parents will be grateful to have their kids entertained for a couple of hours.

I know what you mean about getting worried about the organising. But the kids won't mind if the food isn't out bang on time or you don't have time to fit in that game of musical statues etc, etc. Kids love parties, whatever you do.

That said, lists are the way to keep yourself sane in the run up but on the day, try and find 5 mins to enjoy watching the kids having fun. It's over oh so quickly.

And pack a bottle of something bubbly for the adults.....makes it feel marginally more civilised even if it is drunk from peppa pig / princess / fairy paper cups.

thank you all i think I am going to stick with what I have. As long as I get pass the parcel and the singing for blowing out the candles in i think she will be happy! so might try and do the pass the parcel first and get it over with then I only have one more thing to remember (and I might delegate that one to hubby ).

arg!

Susypx