OFSTED approved democratic school

kitwe

'Small Acres' is an OFSTED approved democratic school for 5 to 11 year olds based in the Peckham Rye area.

It is an independent fee-paying setting offering 3 days a week for those wishing to 'flexi-school' or 5 days per week for those wanting a full time place.

If you would like to learn more about their approach, you can visit their public Facebook page: [www.facebook.com] where there are numerous interesting articles to read.

Also, if you would like to find out more about ?Small Acres? they are holding a ?Parent Information Meeting? on Saturday 15th February at 2pm.

To book a place or to request any further information please send an email to: [email protected]

If you send an email to [email protected] we will be happy to send you an information pack including the OFSTED URN number and answer any particular questions you may have.

In answer to your question about the school being democratic and fee paying:

If you would like to see other models of established democratic fee paying schools, I suggest you look at Summerhill in Suffolk(www.summerhillschool.co.uk) or Sands in Devon (www.sands-school.co.uk).

There is a lot of information on their websites about democratic education.

The Small Acres website is currently in development so hence the reason for sending the link to the Facebook page prior to the website going live.

Also, if you're interested in the approach Small Acres is following, I suggest you google Peter Gray who has recently published a book called 'Free to Learn'. He makes several references in his book about a school in Massachusetts called 'Sudbury Valley'. There are some very interesting 'you tube' interviews on both Sudbury Valley school and Peter Gray's theories on 'Play- based learning'.

We look forward to hearing from you by email if you would like us to send you any specific information.

Also, if you would like to come to the information day on Saturday, please mention that in your email so we can register your interest and send you all the details.

Thanks again for your interest.

I'd also be interested in their/your help and facilities for children with SENs. Can this not be shared on the forum or do i need to email that question too?

It seems a lovely idea and in an ideal world I'd be very interested, but the world is not ideal and I cannot afford to privately (or fee paying but democratically) educate my son.

Regarding 'Special Educational Needs'- every child is offered a 2 week trial at 'Small Acres' to see if it is the right setting for the child and to make sure the whole family are happy with the alternative approach.

Prior to setting up the trial, we welcome families to come and discuss any specific needs or concerns they might have.

If a child has a 'statement of SEN' from the LEA, this can be discussed prior to setting up the trial to ensure Small Acres would be able to address and support those specific needs.

Hope this is clear.

My son attends the school and has 'special educational needs' so I have personal

experience and an understanding of how 'Small Acres' has handled our application and his needs.

I would like to reiterate that every child is offered a trial at the school, regardless of whether they have been deemed to have SEN or not- this is to ensure that the setting and the approach suits the individual child and can meet their needs.

Otta - according to Kitwe's previous posts, (s)he is a founder of the school - not just a parent.

Though interested in alternative educational models, I find the lack of transparency and clarity in the previous thread on this school and on the Facebook page off-putting. Why not publicly post the information you are offering to send by email on the facebook page?

Hi Sribble, I'm sorry you've found a lack of transparency and clarity in previous posts.

With regard to the Facebook page, it is purely a platform to share information about democratic education.

As I have said, we are in the process of developing our website which should be 'live' after half term. I will post a link to the website once it is up and running and hopefully that will give you all the information you require.

In the meantime, we have been holding small informative meetings with families who are interested in our approach.

We haven't felt the need to post lots of information on the East Dulwich forum as our belief is that if families are looking for an alternative, democratic education for their child and want to find out more after visiting our Facebook page they will get in touch for further information. This has been the case with the families who are already part of the school and it has worked very well up till now.

Once again, my apologies for giving an impression that we are unwilling to share information or be clear about what Small Acres is about- that was never our intention.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you would like any more information.

Hi Jessie- In response to your query about the OFSTED website- the Small Acres URN number with OFSTED is 140270.

OFSTED have been to Small Acres to do their preliminary inspection and as a result it is now a

fully registered alternative primary school.

Thank you to everyone who came along to our 'Information day' in Peckham Rye yesterday.

We had a great response to our posting on the ED forum and thank you for all your emails expressing an interest

in 'Small Acres'- it's great to see that so many local people are interested in 'democratic' education.

For those of you who couldn't attend yesterday, we are holding another 'information day' on Saturday March 22nd at 2pm.

If you would like to register for that day, please send an email to: [email protected]